Blog

11 Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Monday, June 19, 2017

LITTLE ROCK—Eleven Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

* Bethel Cemetery near Crossett in Ashley County, containing burials dating to 1855. “The iconography seen throughout the cemetery includes many popular late nineteenth and early twentieth century motifs,” according to the National Register nomination. “Many of the carvings are in excellent condition and represent a wide swath of many popular as well as rare grave symbols. This includes Masonic symbols, weeping willows, clasped hands, roses, lilies, and various other funerary related flowers, crowns, gates of heaven, arches, columns, drapery, obelisks, open Bibles, doves, urns, military symbols, upward pointing hands, lambs, wreaths, stars, an anchor, and an unusual broken tree.”

 

 

* The Home Ice Company at Jonesboro in Craighead County, a 1907 industrial building with a Spanish Revival-style addition. “The Home Ice Company property is an early-twentieth century industrial building that has been associated with various industries,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building has been home to a wagon factory, a peanut processing plant, an ice cream manufacturing facility, and finally an ice plant. Over the years the facilities that have occupied the building have provided jobs and products for Jonesboro and the surrounding communities.”

 

 

 

* Hot Springs National Guard Armory at Hot Springs in Garland County, built in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration, a Depression-era federal relief program. “When the project began in August of 1937, it was estimated the construction of the Hot Springs National Guard Armory building would take the 25 men assigned to the project five months to complete,” according to the National Register nomination. “However, the first National Guard drill was not held in the structure until July 1938. During WWII, when all of the Arkansas National Guard units were called to active duty, the building was used by the local Boys Club to provide baseball, basketball, and boxing matches for the young men of the area.”

 

 

 

* MacLean Hall at Clarksville in Johnson County, a 1927 residence hall built for the College of the Ozarks but used to train sailors during World War II. “Though MacLean Hall was constructed in 1926-1927, it really gained its significance for housing Navy Seamen while the College of the Ozarks campus was handed over to the United States Navy between 1944-1945, for education training,” according to the National Register nomination. “By the end of World War II, and just a month before VE day, the United States Navy discontinued its use of the College of the Ozarks campus, leaving the campus, along with MacLean Hall, to go back to the College of the Ozarks and return to a normal class routine.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


* Scott Cemetery near Walnut Ridge in Lawrence County, containing burials dating to 1910. The cemetery is noteworthy “for its association with the ethnic heritage (burial customs) of the African-American community of Walnut Ridge, Hoxie and the surrounding portions of Lawrence County from 1920s to the present, as well as its association with the efforts of African-Americans to construct institutions during the period of Jim Crow in the state,” according to the National Register nomination. “The cemetery serves as the final resting place for at least seven former slaves, as well as local leaders in the African-American community.”

 

 

 

* Vernon Fitzhugh House at Fayetteville in Washington County, a Mid-Century Modern-style house designed in 1962 by architect Warren Segraves. “The Vernon Fitzhugh House clearly reflects the design trends that were impacting residential architecture in the Mid-Century Modern style after World War II,” according to the National Register nomination. “The house lacks the applied ornamentation that was so often used prior to World War II, and uses window placement and a variety of materials to give visual interest and ornamentation.”

 

 

 

* Warren Segraves House at Fayetteville in Washington County, designed by Segraves in the Mid-Century Modern style in 1959. “The interrelation between indoors and outdoors, the lack of ornamentation, and the use of windows to allow privacy were hallmarks of the style. The house that Warren Segraves designed really exhibits the characteristics of the style, and is an excellent example of the style.”

 

 

 

* Gay Oil Company Building at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a 1925 Neoclassical-style building. “The Gay Oil Company Building is architecturally significant as an example of an early 20th Century Commercial building with Neoclassical detailing,” according to the National Register nomination. “The owner and primary occupant of the building, Thomas J. Gay, was a catalyst to the rise of automobile transportation in Little Rock, occupying the building from 1925 to his retirement in 1938.”

 

 

 

* Lake Nixon at at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a Civil Rights-era swimming establishment that was central to a Supreme Court ruling in 1969. “Lake Nixon is a preserved example of a site associated with a national level desegregation case, brought to the United States Supreme Court, that inevitably set the precedent for entertainment and recreation establishments to not be able to discriminate based on race, and were found to be subject to Title II of the 1964 Civil Rights Act,” the National Register nomination says. “The continued fight over desegregation at Lake Nixon continued to show how civil rights were being infringed upon in the Little Rock area, even after landmark decisions like the integration of Little Rock Central High School in 1957.”

 

 

 

* W.H. Vaughan House at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a ca. 1897 Folk Victorian-style house. “In the original nomination for the Governor’s Mansion Historic District, the W. H. Vaughan Cottage at 2210 South Center was considered to be a non-contributing resource. At the time that the original survey was conducted in 1987, the house had had synthetic siding installed and the front porch’s columns had been replaced with wrought-iron columns. Furthermore, by 1998, the front dormer had been removed and the front façade had been covered with a fieldstone veneer. However, the property should be considered a contributing resource. In the last year, new owners of the property have removed the siding and stone veneer, and restored the front dormer and the front porch’s columns. As a result, the building is considered to be a contributing resource in the Governor’s Mansion Historic District.”

 

 

 

* 210 Fountain Avenue at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a ca. 1929 Spanish Revival-Style building. “In the original nomination for the Capitol View Neighborhood Historic District, the House at 210 Fountain Avenue was considered to be non-contributing to the District, due to the construction of a large front-facing gable roof over the original flat roof,” the National Register nomination says. “However, the house should now be considered to be a contributing resource. A recent project renovated the property, which included removing the large gable roof and restoring the property’s original roofline. As a result, the building is considered to be a contributing resource in the Capitol View Neighborhood Historic District.”

 

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1100 North Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880 [TDD 501-324-9811], send e-mail to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.



Recent Posts


Tags

Camden to Washington Road U.S. Forest Service Arkansas Business History Arkansas History Camden Public Library Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Monroe County Courthouse 19th Century Road Construction Ozark Farming Conway County Library Barney Elias House Perry County Arkansas Rosenwald Schools Marked Tree Arkansas free historic preservation workshop St. Francis County Historical Society Skillern House Delta Cultural Center Historic County Courthouses Madison County Arkansas 13th Amendment Freedmen's Bureau Free Courthouse Poster New Century Club of Camden steel window restoration workshop U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Arkansas Historic Preservation Henry Koen Office Building White County Courthouse Poinsett County Arkansas Monroe County Arkansas Prairie County Arkansas Sunken Lands Mississippi Main Street Association Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 News Release Gothic Revival architecture Little Rock Central High School Booneville Historical Preservation Society Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Freedom Park Main Street Searcy Main Street Texarkana Booneville Arkansas historic telephone booth Turner Restoration International-Style Architecture Montgomery County Courthouse Renaissance Revival Architecture Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Free Lesson Plan Abolition of Slavery Montgomery County Arkansas Let Freedom Ring Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Saline County Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas Morrilton Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Arkansas Railroad History Main Street Siloam Springs Pike County Courthouse 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation North Little Rock Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Sandwiching in History Helena Arkansas Benton Arkansas Buffalo National River Huntsville Commercial Historic District Rosston Arkansas Main Street Ozark Camden Arkansas Erbie Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Miller County most endangered historic places Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Paris Arkansas Three States Lumber Company historic resort communities Civil Works Administration Bogg Springs Hotel Trail of Tears in Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants American Legion Pike County Arkansas cemetery preservation Main Street Batesville Phillips County Arkansas cemetery preservsation Arkansas African American Civil War History Civilian Conservation Corps Mid-Century Modern Architecture Louisiana Main Street program Forrest City Arkansas Tolbert Gill Polk County Arkansas free teacher resources Art Deco Architecture Rustic Architecture Arkansas Preservation Awards Cumberland Presbyterian Church Duck Hunting African American education historic Arkansas properties Main Street Dumas Russellville Arkansas Pope County Courthouse National Register of Historic Flood Control National Register of Historic Places Monsanto Chemical Corporation Dionicio Rodriguez Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Evelyn Gill Walker House Newton County Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax Houston Arkansas downtown economic development Wingmead Doddridge Arkansas Kiblah School Tudor Revival Architecture Arkansas religious history Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Edgar Monsanto Queeny Dr. Ruth Hawkins Naturalistic Architecture Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Huntsville Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants Arkansas Register of Historic Places Roe Arkansas Walks Through History Burdette Arkansas Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Historic Preservation Alliance Leake-Ingham Building Arkansas Design Network downtown revitalization Mississippi County Arkansas Craftsman style architecture free history tours Pope County Arkansas National Historic Landmark Ouachita County Arkansas Main Street Arkansas Centennial Baptist Church Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Cemetery Preservation Library Fayetteville Arkansas Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council historic architecture "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Bogg Springs Arkansas Burdette Plantation Pulaski County Courthouse Arkansas Humanities Council slipcover removal grants Forrest City Cemetery Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Elias Camp Morris County courthouse Restoration Grants

Archive