Blog

Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Bogg Springs Hotel, Bogg Springs, Polk County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Bogg Springs Hotel at Boggs Spring in Polk County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 30, 1993. You can read this and other Arkansas National Register nominations at http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/historic-properties/national-register/search.aspx.

Summary

The Bogg Springs Hotel is locally significant under Criteria A and C through its status as both the last surviving structure from the Bogg Springs resort community with any degree of physical integrity and the last known surviving resort hotel building in all of Polk County. Though simply designed inside and out, the Bogg Springs Hotel appears much as it looked when constructed 1904-07, and is in good condition.

Elaboration

The late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries witnessed the heyday of the commercial development of the resort industry in the United States. Though it was a movement of virtually national proportions, such development concentrated in the mountainous regions of the country, largely due to the tendency for such areas to offer such natural sources of water as streams, lakes, pools, rivers, and especially springs containing a high mineral content that were often purported to possess healing powers, both scientifically-documented and magical. The states of Maine, Vermont, New York, Colorado, West Virginia, California and Arkansas enjoyed the largest growth of this industry. The rural locations of these waters also offered an escape for urban residents. Though large resort facilities and communities sprang up as part of the commercialization of these sites, virtually all were encircled by such rustic surroundings as mountains, forests, streams and lakes, and thus could also draw visitors though the additional recreational opportunities afforded thereby.

The first recorded European settlement around the abundant natural springs that would become known as Bogg Springs occurred in 1888 as a local manifestation of this nationwide phenomenon. A Captain Smith built the first hotel near the springs in that year to accommodate the visitors already making the journey to partake thereof. Smith later replaced that first structure with a larger hotel building (according to local residents, the foundations of these first two hotels are visible aboveground, and both sites are within a mile of the extant structure). According to one source, just after the turn of the century a Mr. Jones purchased the property from Smith and built the existing structure on a site closest to several of the springs. The community of Bogg Springs grew around this structure with the construction of a number of individual cottages and homes built by people who came to the springs regularly (though a few of these smaller buildings survive, most have been severely altered over the years and are no longer eligible for listing on the National Register).

Construction on the Bogg Springs Hotel was begun in 1904 and completed by 1907. Like many such rural resort hotels the emphasis was upon clean if simple interior bedrooms that were intended for sleeping and little else. The visitors, who came to this area for the waters, were expected to enjoy both the purported medicinal properties of the springs and the recreational opportunities afforded by the beautiful, unspoiled rural landscape surrounding the resort. Even the common spaces were primarily for eating and nighttime social functions, with the bulk of the guests’ time spent out of doors or in other structures nearby that were devoted to the treatment of certain ailments or the pursuit of specific recreational activities.

Like many such resort communities, the local folklore includes several amusing stories regarding such topics as famous visitors purported to have spent time at Bogg Springs and even criminal activities that occurred nearby, usually in conjunction with moonshining during the Prohibition years. One such story recounts the 1921 killing of a local neer-do-well by a law enforcement officer named John Shorter, who had been deputized by the local sheriff and assigned to chaperone the weekly Wednesday night dance at Bogg Springs, which was often attended by both guests and local residents from the surrounding area (not surprisingly, illegal liquor was frequently smuggled into these events, and thus the need for the active presence of the law). Shorter was set upon by three local ruffians with whom he had exchanged gunshots earlier in the evening when he discovered a cache of moonshine. Shorter shot and killed one of his assailants during the ensuing scuffle and slightly wounded another, though not before he was clubbed about the head and shoulders with a wooden chair. Initially murder charges were filed against Shorter, but they were later dropped. Another local legend maintains that Pretty Boy Floyd stayed at the hotel for a brief period shortly before he was apprehended by the authorities.

The resort enterprise at Bogg Springs suffered the same fate as all others of its ilk. The growing skepticism in America regarding the legitimate medicinal properties of such natural mineral springs and the obsolescence of secluded recreational locations that occurred as a result of the repeal of Prohibition in 1933 doomed the financial viability of such commercial resort communities. Though many local residents – and occasional tourists – recall the operation of the resort through the 1930’s, its fortunes mirrored those of such other rural Arkansas resort communities as Bella Vista and Monte Ne, both of which fell on hard times by the end of the 1930’s, a situation that only worsened after the end of World War II. The resort fell into disuse thereafter, and was finally bought by the American Baptist Convention in 1962 for use as a religious campground, a function that it continues to serve today.

Though of simple and functional design, the Bogg Springs Hotel remains the only standing structure with sufficient physical integrity to retain its visual association with the historic Bogg Springs resort community of the early twentieth century. As such it is eligible under Criterion A with local significance. It is also eligible under Criterion C due to its historical importance as one of the few known surviving examples in Arkansas of the architecture of one of the rural resort communities found literally throughout the state during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Information supplied by Greg Curtis, Bogg Springs, Arkansas.

“John Shorter Suffering, But Expected In Mena,” Mena Star, August 19, 1921.

Lane, Inez, “Springs,” The Looking Glass, Vol. 1, No. 15, July 10, 1975, p. 14.

“Officer Won In Battle For Life At Bog Springs,” Mena Star, August 18, 1921.

Rutherford, Bob, “Bogg Springs Baptist Encampment,” Rural Arkansas, August, 1991, pg. 13.

“Shorter Freed of Murder Charge,” Mena Star, August 20, 1921.



Recent Posts


Tags

North Little Rock Arkansas Paris Arkansas Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Tolbert Gill Nevada County Arkansas Evelyn Gill Walker House Huntsville Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot free historic preservation workshop Benton Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Monsanto Chemical Corporation Louisiana Main Street program Three States Lumber Company Folk Victorian Architecture downtown revitalization Erbie Arkansas News Release Dionicio Rodriguez Main Street Batesville Wingmead Doddridge Arkansas Fayetteville Arkansas Arkansas religious history historic telephone booth Walks Through History Barney Elias House Poinsett County Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Sandwiching in History Duck Hunting National Register of Historic White County Courthouse Prairie County Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Little Rock Central High School Main Street Dumas Forrest City Cemetery Morrilton Arkansas County courthouse Restoration Grants Destination Downtown Conference Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Free Courthouse Poster Pulaski County Courthouse historic resort communities Roe Arkansas Bogg Springs Arkansas Cumberland Presbyterian Church Flood Control Delta Cultural Center Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 downtown economic development Buffalo National River Bogg Springs Hotel slipcover removal grants Arkansas Humanities Council Freedmen's Bureau Kiblah School Camden Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Pope County Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Houston Arkansas Rosenwald Schools Perry County Arkansas Pope County Courthouse Trail of Tears in Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Arkansas History International-Style Architecture Polk County Arkansas Cemetery Preservation Library Newton County Arkansas Miller County cemetery preservation Historic Preservation Restoration Grants St. Francis County Historical Society Arkansas African American Civil War History Dr. Ruth Hawkins Craftsman style architecture Phillips County Arkansas Free Lesson Plan Montgomery County Courthouse U.S. Forest Service steel window restoration workshop Arkansas Design Network Art Deco Architecture Main Street Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax free history tours Helena Arkansas American Legion Marked Tree Arkansas Booneville Historical Preservation Society Clarendon Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Ozark Farming Downtown Revitalization Grants Turner Restoration Booneville Arkansas Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Huntsville Commercial Historic District cemetery preservsation Camden Public Library historic architecture Historic County Courthouses Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House free teacher resources 19th Century Road Construction Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Arkansas Business History Main Street Ozark Arkansas Register of Historic Places Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Mississippi Main Street Association Renaissance Revival Architecture Elias Camp Morris "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants National Historic Landmark Arkansas Railroad History National Register of Historic Places Arkansas Preservation Awards Edgar Monsanto Queeny Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Arkansas Historic Preservation 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Mississippi County Arkansas Saline County Arkansas Abolition of Slavery Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Russellville Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corps most endangered historic places New Century Club of Camden Let Freedom Ring Henry Koen Office Building Pike County Arkansas Freedom Park Sunken Lands Rosston Arkansas Main Street Searcy Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas History Lesson Plans Madison County Arkansas Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Main Street Siloam Springs Forrest City Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance historic Arkansas properties Ouachita County Arkansas Monroe County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Montgomery County Arkansas Burdette Plantation 13th Amendment Main Street Texarkana Skillern House Mid-Century Modern Architecture Rustic Architecture African American education Conway County Library Pike County Courthouse Tudor Revival Architecture Monroe County Courthouse Civil Works Administration

Archive