Blog

Five Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, March 03, 2015

LITTLE ROCK—Five Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Director Frances McSwain announced today.

The newly listed properties are:

* The Shady Grove Delmar Church and School near Delmar in Carroll County, a one-room, wood-frame structure built around 1880. The building is “an excellent example of a one-room vernacular church and school building,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building is an unaltered example of the building type that was once common throughout the state. The decorative hexagonal bell tower gives the Shady Grove Delmar Church and School a level of decoration that was not commonly found on these buildings, and it remains in a remarkable state of preservation today.”

* St. Mary’s Church at Paragould in Greene County, built in 1935 and reflecting a modernist take on the Romanesque Revival style of architecture. “St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Paragould is one of only two buildings designed by renowned architect and designer Charles Eames in Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “The church is also an important example of Eames’s architectural philosophy … and an excellent example of a late Romanesque Revival church with early modernist influences.”

* The Hope Girl Scout Little House at Hope in Hempstead County, a Rustic-style building constructed around 1938 through the Works Progress Administration, a Depression-era federal relief program. “This building provides an outstanding example of New Deal-era construction in southwest Arkansas,” according to the National Register nomination. “Though log cabins are nothing new in this region of Arkansas, the use of this New Deal-era program to construct this wonderfully designed building with its craftsmanship, goes to show how a community can pull together during a time of need and help shape the lives of both the men that helped construct the ‘Little House’ and the morals and lessons learned through the Girl Scout Program.”

* The Ozone School at Ozone in Johnson County, a cut-stone building constructed in 1942 through the Works Progress Administration. “When it was built in 1942, the Ozone School became an important component of the education system for that part of rural Johnson County,” according to the National Register nomination. “The school not only educated students from that area, but also served as a community gathering place. The construction of the school by the WPA also illustrated the importance of the Federal New Deal agency to that part of Johnson County, as well.”

* Boundary increase to the Fishback Neighborhood Historic District at Fort Smith in Sebastian County. “The Fishback Neighborhood Historic District and its boundary increase represents one of the largest intact collections of contiguous early- to mid-20th century dwellings in Fort Smith,” according to the National Register nomination. “The majority of the dwellings have not been significantly altered, and the district retains a strong sense of time and place.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center and the Historic Arkansas Museum.



Recent Posts


Tags

Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Roe Arkansas Civil Works Administration Arkansas Business History Evelyn Gill Walker House Pope County Arkansas Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Elias Camp Morris Mosaic Templars Cultural Center New Century Club of Camden historic architecture Buffalo National River steel window restoration workshop Ouachita County Arkansas Erbie Arkansas Delta Cultural Center Rosston Arkansas Pulaski County Courthouse Renaissance Revival Architecture Morrilton Arkansas Sandwiching in History Main Street Dumas free historic preservation workshop Clarendon Arkansas Freedom Park Mississippi County Arkansas National Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Arkansas Preservation Awards Huntsville Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association cemetery preservation cemetery preservsation Rustic Architecture U.S. Forest Service Arkansas Design Network Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Monroe County Arkansas Craftsman style architecture Pike County Courthouse Freedmen's Bureau Prairie County Arkansas Sunken Lands Naturalistic Architecture Camden Arkansas Abolition of Slavery Kiblah School 19th Century Road Construction Bogg Springs Hotel Arkansas Humanities Council Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Montgomery County Courthouse Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Saline County Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Main Street Arkansas American Legion Arkansas religious history Turner Restoration Trail of Tears in Arkansas Main Street Batesville Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Centennial Baptist Church most endangered historic places Arkansas Register of Historic Places National Historic Landmark Free Lesson Plan St. Francis County Historical Society Destination Downtown Conference Cumberland Presbyterian Church Folk Victorian Architecture Benton Arkansas Camden Public Library Montgomery County Arkansas Pike County Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans Civilian Conservation Corps free history tours Historic County Courthouses historic telephone booth Doddridge Arkansas White County Courthouse Arkansas African American Civil War History Pope County Courthouse Let Freedom Ring Henry Koen Office Building free teacher resources downtown revitalization Louisiana Main Street program Leake-Ingham Building "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Edgar Monsanto Queeny Miller County Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South North Little Rock Arkansas Conway County Library Newton County Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Arkansas Historic Preservation Barney Elias House downtown economic development Three States Lumber Company Forrest City Arkansas Tudor Revival Architecture Huntsville Commercial Historic District Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Arkansas History Burdette Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Bogg Springs Arkansas Polk County Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Flood Control Main Street Searcy News Release Arkansas Railroad History Real Estate Transfer Tax Madison County Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Rosenwald Schools Russellville Arkansas Wingmead Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Downtown Revitalization Grants Phillips County Arkansas Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax 13th Amendment Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Historic Preservation Alliance Booneville Arkansas Monroe County Courthouse Booneville Historical Preservation Society Paris Arkansas Ozark Farming slipcover removal grants International-Style Architecture African American education Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum County courthouse Restoration Grants Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Burdette Plantation Houston Arkansas Perry County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Forrest City Cemetery Dionicio Rodriguez Main Street Texarkana Helena Arkansas Duck Hunting Art Deco Architecture Skillern House Main Street Ozark Monsanto Chemical Corporation Dr. Ruth Hawkins historic Arkansas properties Main Street Siloam Springs Poinsett County Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Walks Through History Mid-Century Modern Architecture Free Courthouse Poster Tolbert Gill Camden to Washington Road Cemetery Preservation Library Arkansas State University Heritage Sites historic resort communities Fayetteville Arkansas

Archive