Blog

Five New National Register Listings

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Wednesday, February 05, 2020

 

Five new properties and one new historic district are now part of the National Register of Historic Places. The State Review Board of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP) approved these locations in December 2019 and received notification of their approval by the National Park Service in late January.

The properties include:

  • Bennett House, Benton, Saline County- Built in 1904, the Bennett House along First Street was constructed in the Folk Victorian style and features many of the characteristics of this style, including elaborate siding, a front-facing gable with a wing and an elaborate porch.
  • Dante House, Dumas, Desha County- Built between 1964 and 1965, the Dante House is located at the southeast corner of Court Street and Puryear Street. The house has outstanding integrity from the time of its construction in 1965 since it was continuously owned and occupied by the Dante Family until the current owner bought the house in 2018.
  • Lono Gymnasium, Lono, Hot Spring County- Built in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Lono Gymnasium is located at 11702 Highway 222 in the community of Lono, approximately 12 miles south of Malvern. The building was the gymnasium for the Lono School, and basketball was played for the first time in the new gym in 1939.
  • Maumelle River Bridge, Natural Steps vic., Pulaski County- Located where Old Highway 300 crosses over the Maumelle River, the Maumelle River Bridge is approximately half amile southwest of the town of Natural Steps and was originally built in 1920.
  • Patteson House, Jonesboro, Craighead County- Located on approximately five acres to the southeast of Jonesboro at 2801 Harrisburg Road, the Patteson House was built in 1961-1962 and designed in the Mid-Century Modern style by Arkansas architect F. Eugene Withrow.

Additionally, a historic district was created:

  • Downs Historic District, Little Rock, Pulaski County- The district consists of the main Downs House, eleven small cottages and their associated carports, and a community swimming pool, all of which were built during the latter half of the 1960s and early 1970s in Little Rock’s Hillcrest neighborhood. Although built over a period of about six years, the houses were all designed by architect Lawrence Downs of Kansas City, Missouri, allowing the district to have a very cohesive character and design.

To receive the honor of recognition on the National Register, properties must show that they contribute to our country’s history and heritage by completing application first to their State Review Board and then on the federal level through the National Park Service, which maintains the National Register of Historic Places. Nomination can include sites, buildings, structures, objects, or districts that have integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association and fit one criteria as detailed at on our website.

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP) is the agency of Arkansas Heritage responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives. Arkansas Heritage is a division of the Arkansas Department of Parks, Heritage and Tourism.

 

 

 



Recent Posts


Tags

downtown revitalization Forrest City Arkansas Roe Arkansas Renaissance Revival Architecture Freedmen's Bureau Paris Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Huntsville Commercial Historic District North Little Rock Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Folk Victorian Architecture Pope County Arkansas historic Arkansas properties Booneville Historical Preservation Society Free Courthouse Poster Ozark Farming Naturalistic Architecture Houston Arkansas free historic preservation workshop Wingmead cemetery preservsation Sandwiching in History Skillern House Fayetteville Arkansas Ouachita County Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas Walks Through History Real Estate Transfer Tax Mississippi Main Street Association Rosenwald Schools Destination Downtown Conference Arkansas Design Network Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South free history tours Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Edgar Monsanto Queeny Marked Tree Arkansas Rustic Architecture Huntsville Arkansas St. Francis County Historical Society Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Historic Preservation Alliance Louisiana Main Street program National Register of Historic steel window restoration workshop Gothic Revival architecture Civilian Conservation Corps Central High School Neighborhood Historic District historic architecture Freedom Park Main Street Siloam Springs Conway County Library Pike County Courthouse Morrilton Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Downtown Revitalization Grants Pulaski County Courthouse Newton County Arkansas Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Evelyn Gill Walker House 13th Amendment free teacher resources Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot White County Courthouse Main Street Batesville Mississippi County Arkansas Erbie Arkansas National Register of Historic Places Elias Camp Morris Three States Lumber Company Poinsett County Arkansas Burdette Plantation Perry County Arkansas Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Main Street Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites most endangered historic places U.S. Forest Service Barney Elias House Montgomery County Courthouse Phillips County Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Russellville Arkansas Helena Arkansas Main Street Ozark Arkansas History Lesson Plans U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Camden Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins historic telephone booth Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Henry Koen Office Building Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Craftsman style architecture Arkansas Preservation Awards Flood Control Cemetery Preservation Library County courthouse Restoration Grants Bogg Springs Arkansas Arkansas African American Civil War History Monroe County Arkansas Turner Restoration Leake-Ingham Building Main Street Dumas Arkansas Register of Historic Places Pope County Courthouse Clarendon Arkansas Miller County "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Sunken Lands Civil Works Administration Monroe County Courthouse Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Tudor Revival Architecture 19th Century Road Construction Arkansas History News Release Arkansas Railroad History Mid-Century Modern Architecture Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Rosston Arkansas Bogg Springs Hotel Arkansas religious history Booneville Arkansas International-Style Architecture National Historic Landmark Madison County Arkansas Kiblah School Monsanto Chemical Corporation Pike County Arkansas Centennial Baptist Church Nevada County Arkansas Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Delta Cultural Center Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Let Freedom Ring Camden to Washington Road Polk County Arkansas Arkansas Business History Prairie County Arkansas Camden Public Library downtown economic development American Legion Duck Hunting cemetery preservation Cumberland Presbyterian Church Mosaic Templars Cultural Center New Century Club of Camden Free Lesson Plan Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 African American education Montgomery County Arkansas Buffalo National River Forrest City Cemetery Saline County Arkansas Main Street Searcy Dionicio Rodriguez Main Street Texarkana slipcover removal grants Tolbert Gill historic resort communities Abolition of Slavery Benton Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Historic County Courthouses 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Arkansas Humanities Council Art Deco Architecture

Archive