Blog

Jacob Wolf House Prepares for Summer Season

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, April 24, 2018

As the summer vacation season approaches, the Jacob Wolf House Historic Site in Norfork announces its summer hours will be from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday with self-guided tours available on weekends.

The Jacob Wolf House Historic Site preserves, protects and promotes Arkansas’s oldest public structure and interprets the cultural and historical significance of this Ozark region. The two-story log dog-trot structure was built in 1829 as the first permanent courthouse for Izard County in Arkansas Territory. The Wolf House sits above the confluence of the White and Norfork rivers in present-day Norfork in Baxter County. John P. Houston, brother of Sam Houston, served as a county clerk in this courthouse. People from the surrounding area would set up temporary quarters on the grounds, socializing and participating in their favorite activities while court was in session. The two-story dogtrot served thousands of early settlers finding their way into the central highlands of north Arkansas. It was used as a river port, center of trade and as a seat of justice.

The Wolf House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

The Department of Arkansas Heritage acquired the Jacob Wolf House Historic Site from the Baxter County Quorum Court in early 2017.New site improvements will enhance the visitor's experience through restoration work to the historic structures, renovations to support facilities, new exhibits and public programs. The Wolf House will be restored to a time that reflects its importance as a Territorial Courthouse. Comprehensive interpretive themes tied to the historic site are the Early Arkansas Frontier, Native American Culture, River Travel and Trade, Territorial Politics, Early Statehood, Slavery in the Ozarks and the Civil War. The time-line for interpretation will be 1829–1863.

The historic structures at the Jacob Wolf House Historic Site are not available for rent or generally for special use. The historic structures are only open for tours by the on-site staff during open hours. Any special use of the property must have prior approval from the site manager, who can be contacted at (870) 499-0556.

To learn more and to see the site’s rules and regulations, visit http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/Historic-Properties/jacobwolfhouse or call (870) 499-0556.

The Jacob Wolf House Historic Site is part of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center, the Old State House Museum, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.



Recent Posts


Tags

Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Arkansas African American Civil War History Rosston Arkansas Tolbert Gill Booneville Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Arkansas Design Network Historic Preservation Alliance Free Lesson Plan Abolition of Slavery Pope County Arkansas St. Francis County Historical Society Main Street Siloam Springs Paris Arkansas National Register of Historic Arkansas History Huntsville Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Arkansas Register of Historic Places Walks Through History Flood Control Monsanto Chemical Corporation Gothic Revival architecture Newton County Arkansas Perry County Arkansas Main Street Texarkana Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Arkansas Humanities Council Monroe County Courthouse Polk County Arkansas Arkansas religious history Montgomery County Arkansas Free Courthouse Poster Helena Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Freedom Park Cumberland Presbyterian Church Montgomery County Courthouse Edgar Monsanto Queeny Henry Koen Office Building Turner Restoration Cemetery Preservation Library Arkansas Historic Preservation 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Sandwiching in History 19th Century Road Construction Doddridge Arkansas Madison County Arkansas Renaissance Revival Architecture Pope County Courthouse 13th Amendment historic architecture Houston Arkansas Main Street Ozark Arkansas Railroad History cemetery preservation Forrest City Cemetery Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Main Street Dumas Downtown Revitalization Grants most endangered historic places Arkansas Business History American Legion Arkansas History Lesson Plans Camden Public Library Conway County Library Little Rock Central High School downtown economic development Three States Lumber Company Pike County Arkansas Saline County Arkansas News Release Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Mississippi Main Street Association National Register of Historic Places Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Barney Elias House Mississippi County Arkansas Main Street Batesville Russellville Arkansas Benton Arkansas County courthouse Restoration Grants Dr. Ruth Hawkins U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Booneville Historical Preservation Society National Historic Landmark Civil Works Administration historic telephone booth Camden to Washington Road Monroe County Arkansas Buffalo National River Marked Tree Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Sunken Lands Dionicio Rodriguez Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Clarendon Arkansas free history tours Wingmead Burdette Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum downtown revitalization Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Elias Camp Morris Forrest City Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District Phillips County Arkansas Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Pike County Courthouse Mid-Century Modern Architecture Morrilton Arkansas slipcover removal grants New Century Club of Camden Erbie Arkansas Fayetteville Arkansas Burdette Plantation Ozark Farming historic Arkansas properties Freedmen's Bureau Evelyn Gill Walker House Let Freedom Ring Bogg Springs Hotel Bogg Springs Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference International-Style Architecture free teacher resources Arkansas Preservation Awards African American education Rustic Architecture Ouachita County Arkansas cemetery preservsation Poinsett County Arkansas steel window restoration workshop Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut free historic preservation workshop Real Estate Transfer Tax Craftsman style architecture Historic County Courthouses Camden Arkansas Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Main Street Searcy Kiblah School Skillern House Prairie County Arkansas U.S. Forest Service Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Roe Arkansas White County Courthouse Art Deco Architecture Main Street Arkansas Delta Cultural Center Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Trail of Tears in Arkansas Miller County historic resort communities Civilian Conservation Corps North Little Rock Arkansas Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Pulaski County Courthouse Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Rosenwald Schools Centennial Baptist Church Tudor Revival Architecture Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Duck Hunting

Archive