Blog

Lamar Porter Athletic Field

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Monday, June 10, 2019

Baseball fans across Arkansas have enjoyed Lamar Porter Field in Little Rock for years. Built during the Great Depression, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in December of 1990, and continues to thrive as the heart of the Little Rock Boys and Girls Club often hosting tournaments and serving as the home field for two of Little Rock’s private schools. 

And while there has been much joy over the years from homeruns to winning catches, the story of Lamar Porter Field starts with great sadness. The field’s namesake, Lamar Porter, graduated from Little Rock High School before attending Sewanee Military Academy in Tennessee. After Sewanee, Porter enrolled at Washington and Lee University to continue his education. But his time there was cut short. On May 12, 1934, Porter was killed in a car accident.


To honor the young man, the James Skillern Estate purchased a 10-acre plot of land adjacent to where Lamar Porter Field is currently located. On the one-year anniversary of Porter’s death, his family donated 40 lots (roughly four city blocks) to complement the previous purchase. In an agreement with the City of Little Rock the area was to be called the Lamar Porter Boys’ Athletic Club Athletic Field and its purpose was, according to an Arkansas Democrat article, for recreational purposes only. The site was to include tennis, baseball, softball, a clubhouse, horseshoe links and picnic grounds. Additionally a playground and greenspaces were to be added to the master plan of the facility.

A driving catalyst of Boys Clubs since its founding in 1860, was to give young men something to do that would keep them physically and mentally occupied and out of trouble. According to reports, when the Little Rock Boys’ Club was officially organized in July of 1914, it was an immediate success in cutting crime. A local probation officer reported a 50-percent drop in juvenile delinquency after just one month of operation. The addition of such an amazing centerpiece as the Lamar Porter Field would only increase activities for young people, contributing to the success of the Boys Club mission.

The Great Depression was in full force when Lamar Porter passed away and in 1935, Arkansas received a sizable contribution from the Works Progress Administration for public projects. The WPA was designed to help skilled, semi-skilled, professional workers and laborers work five days a week for a total of 35 hours. Arkansas was able to snag money and labor for the construction of Lamar Porter Field out of a pool of more than 600 WPA projects around the country managed by State Works Progress Administrators.

An architecture firm was hired and construction began in September of 1935. On April 22, 1937, at a final cost of $122,244.53, Lamar Porter Field was completed. All totaled, the WPA provided $108,710.82 towards constructions with sponsors filling in the remaining financial gaps.

Over the years, thousands of young people have played ball at Lamar Porter Field, but the most famous was Brooks Robinson. Robinson, a native of Little Rock, went on to play for the Baltimore Orioles, who drafted the Little Rock High School graduate in 1955. Robinson went on to play for the team his entire 23-year career including 18 All Star Teams, 16 Gold Gloves, AL MVP in 1964 and World Series MVP in 1970.

(Photo by: Baltimore Orioles via Robinson’s Wikipedia page)

The Arkansas Historic Preservation Program conducted a Sandwiching in History tour of Lamar Porter Field in September of 2018 and it can be viewed here

Contributions to this article from the research of Travis Ratermann and Mark Christ who prepared the National Register of Historic Places nominating forms for this property.

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Main Street Siloam Springs Helena Arkansas cemetery preservsation Barney Elias House Huntsville Arkansas Freedom Park Benton Arkansas downtown revitalization Arkansas Historic Preservation Turner Restoration African American education free teacher resources Main Street Searcy Main Street Texarkana Downtown Revitalization Grants Arkansas Humanities Council Marked Tree Arkansas Camden Public Library Buffalo National River Miller County National Register of Historic Places Arkansas Preservation Awards Rustic Architecture Dionicio Rodriguez free history tours Main Street Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Civilian Conservation Corps Monroe County Courthouse St. Francis County Historical Society Russellville Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Pike County Arkansas Montgomery County Arkansas Erbie Arkansas Arkansas Design Network Delta Cultural Center Tolbert Gill Roe Arkansas Ozark Farming Arkansas Business History Saline County Arkansas historic Arkansas properties Elias Camp Morris historic resort communities Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Pike County Courthouse Historic Preservation Alliance Kiblah School International-Style Architecture Craftsman style architecture cemetery preservation News Release 13th Amendment Houston Arkansas Burdette Plantation Tudor Revival Architecture Mississippi Main Street Association Main Street Batesville Art Deco Architecture Phillips County Arkansas Monroe County Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas National Historic Landmark historic telephone booth slipcover removal grants Mississippi County Arkansas Sunken Lands Duck Hunting Abolition of Slavery Mid-Century Modern Architecture Conway County Library Real Estate Transfer Tax Freedmen's Bureau Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Sandwiching in History Morrilton Arkansas Paris Arkansas Historic County Courthouses Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Evelyn Gill Walker House County courthouse Restoration Grants historic architecture American Legion Pope County Arkansas Henry Koen Office Building Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District most endangered historic places Doddridge Arkansas downtown economic development National Register of Historic Booneville Historical Preservation Society Ouachita County Arkansas Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Monsanto Chemical Corporation Wingmead Forrest City Cemetery Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Montgomery County Courthouse Rosston Arkansas Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Arkansas History Lesson Plans Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Free Lesson Plan Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Pulaski County Courthouse Free Courthouse Poster Nevada County Arkansas Skillern House Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Bogg Springs Hotel steel window restoration workshop Let Freedom Ring Huntsville Commercial Historic District Renaissance Revival Architecture Newton County Arkansas Bogg Springs Arkansas Edgar Monsanto Queeny Dr. Ruth Hawkins 19th Century Road Construction Arkansas African American Civil War History "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation North Little Rock Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Madison County Arkansas U.S. Forest Service Centennial Baptist Church Prairie County Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Poinsett County Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Arkansas Register of Historic Places Clarendon Arkansas New Century Club of Camden White County Courthouse Destination Downtown Conference Camden Arkansas Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Arkansas religious history Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Naturalistic Architecture Main Street Ozark Historic Preservation Restoration Grants free historic preservation workshop Fayetteville Arkansas Perry County Arkansas Cemetery Preservation Library Polk County Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Gothic Revival architecture Booneville Arkansas Pope County Courthouse Arkansas Railroad History Leake-Ingham Building Flood Control Three States Lumber Company Forrest City Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Arkansas History Rosenwald Schools Civil Works Administration U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Walks Through History Little Rock Central High School Main Street Dumas Cumberland Presbyterian Church

Archive