Blog

Three Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Wednesday, September 19, 2018

 

Three Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

 

  • Voorhees School at Clarksville in Johnson County, a one-story, native stone building constructed between 1940 and 1941 by the National Youth Administration, a Depression-era federal relief agency. “Though it was originally meant to allow aspiring educators the opportunity to teach ninth graders from the Clarksville Public School system, that systems fell by the way side at the outbreak of World War II,” according to the National Register nomination. “The education value remained as the United States Navy used it as classroom space. Following the Navy’s use of the Voorhees School the College of the Ozarks moved the newly formed School of Pharmacy into the building to create Arkansas’s first pharmacy school. The history associated with this former school building continues to be shown as the University of the Ozarks continues to thrive and continues to use the school to facilitate a learning environment for its students.”

 

 

  • William Jasper Johnson House at Bull Shoals in Marion County, a wood-frame vernacular house built around 1900.“The Johnson House is a typical example of a wood-framed single pen house that was soon expanded through the addition of a rear ell,” according to the National Register nomination. “Its stunning survival without large additions or even the introduction of interior plumbing or electrical service is unusual.Also, this property is one of only two known surviving properties, including the Newton Flat Cemetery, that are associated with the early settlement history of this area, prior to the building of the nearby dam and lake.”
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Sandlin House at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a Colonial Revival-influenced building constructed around 1900.“In the nomination for the Governor’s Mansion Historic District, the Sandlin House at 2305 South Gaines Street was considered to be non-contributing to the District due to the installation of synthetic siding which had obscured some of the property’s architectural detail,” according to the National Register nomination. “However, the house should now be considered a contributing resource.However, a recent tax credit project removed the siding and has restored the house’s architectural detail. As a result, the building is considered to be a contributing resource in the Governor’s Mansion Historic District.”

 

 

 

 

 

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Russellville Arkansas Forrest City Arkansas Madison County Arkansas Roe Arkansas U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Freedom Park Sunken Lands American Legion Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Montgomery County Arkansas Free Lesson Plan Flood Control Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Little Rock Central High School Historic Preservation Alliance Rosston Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Rosenwald Schools Main Street Dumas Pike County Courthouse Skillern House Perry County Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Henry Koen Office Building International-Style Architecture Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut historic architecture Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Downtown Revitalization Grants Huntsville Arkansas Clarendon Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Tolbert Gill Craftsman style architecture County courthouse Restoration Grants free history tours Saline County Arkansas Benton Arkansas Arkansas religious history St. Francis County Historical Society Folk Victorian Architecture Wingmead Rustic Architecture Burdette Arkansas African American education Cemetery Preservation Library historic telephone booth Abolition of Slavery slipcover removal grants Free Courthouse Poster Poinsett County Arkansas Main Street Siloam Springs Monsanto Chemical Corporation Forrest City Cemetery Monroe County Arkansas Camden Public Library Miller County Louisiana Main Street program Turner Restoration Mississippi County Arkansas cemetery preservation Pope County Arkansas North Little Rock Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Morrilton Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Arkansas History Arkansas State University Heritage Sites 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation National Register of Historic National Register of Historic Places Elias Camp Morris Main Street Searcy Buffalo National River 19th Century Road Construction Ozark Farming Main Street Texarkana Prairie County Arkansas Pope County Courthouse Ouachita County Arkansas U.S. Forest Service Arkansas African American Civil War History White County Courthouse Bogg Springs Hotel Marked Tree Arkansas Three States Lumber Company Booneville Arkansas Newton County Arkansas Main Street Batesville Fayetteville Arkansas Arkansas Register of Historic Places Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Civilian Conservation Corps historic resort communities Huntsville Commercial Historic District Main Street Arkansas Central High School Neighborhood Historic District News Release New Century Club of Camden Phillips County Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot downtown revitalization Freedmen's Bureau Conway County Library Pike County Arkansas Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Trail of Tears in Arkansas Arkansas Business History Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Polk County Arkansas Civil Works Administration Destination Downtown Conference Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House cemetery preservsation Edgar Monsanto Queeny Cumberland Presbyterian Church downtown economic development Duck Hunting Camden Arkansas Walks Through History free teacher resources Delta Cultural Center free historic preservation workshop Monroe County Courthouse Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas Humanities Council National Historic Landmark Renaissance Revival Architecture Booneville Historical Preservation Society Dr. Ruth Hawkins Mid-Century Modern Architecture Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Helena Arkansas Erbie Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Bogg Springs Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Let Freedom Ring Dionicio Rodriguez Evelyn Gill Walker House Pulaski County Courthouse Historic County Courthouses steel window restoration workshop Paris Arkansas Arkansas Railroad History Montgomery County Courthouse Arkansas History Lesson Plans 13th Amendment Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Sandwiching in History Art Deco Architecture Tudor Revival Architecture Kiblah School Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Arkansas Historic Preservation Houston Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Arkansas Design Network Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery historic Arkansas properties Real Estate Transfer Tax Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Main Street Ozark Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Burdette Plantation Historic Preservation Restoration Grants most endangered historic places Arkansas Preservation Awards Barney Elias House

Archive