Charles Juhre House
CHARLES JUHRE HOUSE,
The Charles Juhre House is locally significant under Criterion C as the best example in the city of Rogers of a Foursquare-type house that reflects both Colonial Revival and Classical Revival style influences. Of particular note are the elaborate Classical porch capitals, and the beveled Palladian dormer above, with its recessed central ached window and rectangular flanking windows.
The Charles Juhre House was constructed in 1908 by the man for whom it is named, Charles Juhre, for whom this was his second home in the city of Rogers, Arkansas. Charles Juhre had enjoyed a successful career in Rogers as a grocer and merchant since about 1885, when he constructed the downtown brick commercial block that still bears his name (NR-listed as part of the Walnut Street Historic District, 01/28/88). By the first years of the twentieth century, his family had grown to the point that he decided upon the need to build a larger, more spacious home for himself and his family.
Designed by the well-known Rogers architect A. O. Clark, the Charles Juhre House was constructed by Charles Juhre and his brother Gus, with the assistance of a local mason, John B. Myler. A kiln in Mexico, Missouri, custom-made the dry-pressed bricks for this job; bricks were manufactured to exact dimensions to accommodate corners, windows and doors. A stone quarry in Carthage, Missouri, cut the stone as per the architect's specification drawings and transported the stone via rail to Rogers. The railroad also shipped the interior oak millwork from Des Moines, Iowa, and the yellow pine flooring was probably obtained from within Arkansas.
Though a native of New York state, the architect Albert O. Clark had established himself as a partner of the firm Mathews and Clark in St. Louis, Missouri, as of 1882, at the relatively young age of twenty-three. Clark practiced there for a total of twenty-three years, establishing himself as a prominent designer of large public and commercial buildings, before relocating to Rogers, Arkansas, to open a second office for the firm, largely due to the large number of commissions emanating from that growing northwest Arkansas city. Clark remained here for the remainder of his life, and designed some of the most architecturally-significant and imposing commercial, religious and public buildings in Benton County. He is less well known for his residential architecture, though he also designed a number of residences both inside and outside Benton County. The Charles Juhre House, a handsome and imposing Foursquare house with both Colonial Revival and Classical Revival details, is not only one of his finest residential commissions but one of the finest examples of this stylistic synthesis in the city of Rogers.
The Charles Juhre House, as one of the finer examples of a transitional high-style residence, represents the historic context within the cover of the Historic Resources of Benton County (Partial Inventory: Historic and Architectural), and the high-style architecture that became an integral part of the built and cultural landscape within Benton County after the arrival of the railroad and the general prosperity it engendered. As a high-style building, though transitional, it relates to the high-style building property type as noted in the historic context and qualifies as a member of this property type. It is significant under Criterion C with local significance both through its direct associations with its designer, A. O. Clark, and as the best and most intact extant example of this particular architectural synthesis in Rogers.
Benton County Heritage Committee, History of Benton County, Arkansas, (Rogers, Arkansas: 1991).
Information supplied by Janice and George R. Skopecek, III, Rogers, Arkansas.