Arkansas National Historic Landmarks
Old State House
Old State House,
1836 Greek Revival structure that served as first state capitol, focal
point of Brooks-Baxter War, headquarters for early twentieth-century
malaria eradication efforts, and site of Bill Clinton's acceptance of
1992 and 1996 presidential victories. NHL designated 12/09/97.
Eaker Site, Mississippi County, archaeological site with evidence of occupation from ca. A.D. 600-1450. NHL designated 06/19/96.
Joseph T. Robinson House
Joseph Taylor Robinson House at 2122
Broadway in Little Rock, Pulaski County, a 1904 structure that was home
to U.S. Senator Joseph T. Robinson, Senate majority leader during
President Franklin D. Roosevelt's first term as President of the United
States. NHL designated 10/12/94.
Louisiana Purchase Site
Louisiana Purchase Initial Survey Point Site,
located at the junction of Monroe, Lee and Phillips counties in eastern
Arkansas, the site in 1815, from which all surveys of land acquired in
Louisiana Purchase were determined. NHL designated 04/19/93.
Rohwer Relocation Cemetery
Rohwer Relocation Center Cemetery off Highway 1 at Rohwer, Desha County, the cemetery for a camp where Japanese-Americans were interned from 1942-45. NHL designated 07/06/92.
Central High School
Little Rock Central High School
at 14th and Park streets in Little Rock, Pulaski County, this 1927,
structure was the focus of national attention during the desegregation
crisis of 1957. NHL designated 05/20/82.
Fort Smith National Historic Site
at Fort Smith, Sebastian County, an 1817-24 frontier fort established
to keep peace among Indian tribes, also the site of "hanging judge"
Isaac C. Parker's court. NHL designated 12/19/60.
Arkansas Post National Memorial,
located eight miles southeast of Gillett via Highways 1 and 169 in
Arkansas county, site between 1686, and 1865, of Spanish and French
outposts and battles during the American Revolution and the Civil War. NHL designated 10/09/60.
Menard-Hodges Mounds, Arkansas County, site
dates from the late Prehistoric era to the 1680s, with Baytown and
Mississippian components and evidence of contact with Europeans. NHL designated 04/11/89.
Parkin Archaeological State Park
off Highway 64 at Parkin, Cross county, an A.D. 1300-1600,
Mississippian site that may have been visited by Hernando De Soto's
expedition in 1541. NHL designated 07/19/64.
Toltec Mounds Archaeological State Park
Toltec Mounds Archaeological State Park off Highway 165 in Scott, Lonoke County, site of Native American activity from A.D. 700-1800. NHL designated 06/02/78.
Nodena Site, Mississippi County, A.D. 1400-1700 Mississippian site. NHL designated 07/19/64.
Bathhouse Row on Central Avenue in Hot Springs, Garland County, contains eight spa bathhouses dating from 1911-35. NHL designated 05/28/87.
Camden Expedition, consisting of the following properties associated with the Camden Expedition of 1864: *
Old US Arsenal
Old U.S. Arsenal Building at 9th and Commerce streets
in Little Rock, Pulaski County, the starting point of Frederick
Steele's Union troops.
Elkin's Ferry Battlefield
Elkins' Ferry Battlefield 10 miles north of Prescott
on the Little Missouri River at the Clark-Nevada County line, where
Federal troops crossed the river against staunch Confederate resistance
April 3-4, 1864.
Prairie D'Ane Battlefield near Prescott
Prairie D'Ane Battlefield near Prescott, Nevada
County, where the two armies skirmished between April 9-12, 1864,
blunting the Union drive to Louisiana.
- Confederate State Capitol at Old Washington State Park, Hempstead County, an 1840 structure that figured prominently in the strategies of both armies.
- Fort Southerland on Bradley Ferry Road and Fort
Lookout on Van Buren Road, both at Camden, Ouachita County, built by
Southern troops and used and improved by Union troops during the Federal
occupation of Camden.
- Poison Spring Battlefield on Highway 76 near
Chidester, Ouachita County, where Rebel forces attacked and decimated a
Union supply train on April 18, 1864, inflicting 42 percent casualties
on the First Kansas Colored Infantry Regiment.
Marks' Mills Battlefield
Marks' Mills Battlefield at the junction of Highways 8
and 79 near New Edinburg, Cleveland County, where a second Union supply
train was attacked on April 25, 1864, and 1,300 of 1,600 Union troops
involved were killed, wounded or captured.
- Jenkins' Ferry Battlefield on Highway 46 near
Leola, Grant County, where the Union army escaped across the swollen
Saline River after a desperate battle with pursuing confederates on
April 30, 1864.
* All designated 04/19/94.
Daisy Bates House
Daisy Bates House at 1207 West 28th Street
in Little Rock, the de facto command post for the Central High School
desegregation crisis, served as a haven for the nine African American
students who desegregated the school and a place to plan the best way to
achieve their goals.
Centennial Baptist Church
Centennial Baptist Church at York and
Columbia Streets, Helena, Phillips County, is nationally significant
through its association with Dr. Elias Camp Morris, who served as pastor
from 1879 until his death in 1922. The period of his life from 1882 to
1922 was his most productive period with respect to his efforts on the
national level to further the religious, political, and societal
achievements of African Americans. The church remains a symbol of those
efforts in the heyday of Jim Crow.
For more information on the NHL program, go to www.cr.nps.gov/nhl/.