Site Search
Annual Report & Action Plan Free E-Newsletter Staff Directory FAQs Press Releases Related Links Site Map Home
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Print This Page Forward to a Friend

SANDWICHING IN HISTORY SCHEDULE

The "Sandwiching In History" program is a series of tours that seeks to familiarize people who live and work in central Arkansas with the historic structures and sites around us. The tours take place on Fridays at noon, last less than an hour, and participants are encouraged to bring their lunches so that they can eat while listening to a brief lecture about the property and its history before proceeding on a short tour. A representative from the property is encouraged to attend also and address the group.

The tours are organized by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. All tours are free and open to the public.

View Archived Sandwiching in History Tour Scripts


Old North Little Rock Post Office
Old North Little Rock Post Office

August 1, 2014 - Old North Little Rock Post Office

Old North Little Rock Post Office, 420 Main Street, North Little Rock. The North Little Rock Post Office was built in 1931-1932 and was the city’s first stand-alone post office building. From 1905 to 1931, a city park was located at the southeast corner of 5th and Main streets, on land donated by the Rock Island Railroad. The federal government purchased the land in 1931 for the construction of a post office, which opened in December 1932. The Colonial Revival-style post office was designed by the Little Rock architectural firm of Thompson, Sanders & Ginocchio. In June 2012 the United States Postal Service closed North Little Rock's historic downtown post office, and a few months later, the building was purchased by the William F. Laman Public Library System to serve as a new location for the Argenta Branch Library. The newly renovated library opened in April 2014.

Rozelle-Murphy House
Rozelle-Murphy House

September 5, 2014 - Rozelle-Murphy House

Rozelle-Murphy House, 1301 Scott Street, Little Rock. The Queen Anne-style Rozelle-Murphy House was built about 1887 by George F. Rozelle, owner of a brokerage firm, and was later sold to George W. Murphy, who served as Arkansas’s attorney general from 1901 to 1905.

Lane House
Lane House

October 3, 2014 - S. Augustus Lane House

S. Augustus Lane House, 3617 Ridge Road, North Little Rock. Located in the Park Hill Historic District, this house was built in 1925 in the Spanish Revival style for S. Augustus “Gus” Lane, then-general manager of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company for Arkansas.

Roundtop Filling Station
Roundtop Filling Station

November 7, 2014 - Roundtop Filling Station

Roundtop Filling Station, Trammel & Roundtop Road, Sherwood. The uniquely shaped Roundtop Filling Station was constructed in 1936 by North Little Rock developer Justin Matthews and was initially operated by the Pierce Oil Company.

Joseph W. House House
Joseph W. House House

December 5, 2014 - Joseph W. House House

Joseph W. House House, 2126 S. Arch Street, Little Rock. Constructed about 1892 for prominent attorney and state legislator Joseph W. House, this home exhibits characteristics of the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles.




Copyright ©2014 Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design.