Site Search
Annual Report & Action Plan Free E-Newsletter Staff Directory FAQs Press Releases Related Links Site Map Home
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Print This Page Forward to a Friend

WALKS THROUGH HISTORY SCHEDULE

The "Walks Through History" program is a series of monthly outdoor walking tours that seeks to familiarize people who live and work in communities outside of central Arkansas with the historic structures and sites around them. Presented by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage, the tours begin at 11 a.m., unless otherwise noted, on Saturdays, and last between one and two hours. An AHPP staff historian leads the tour, delivering a brief lecture about the properties visited and their history.

View Archived Walks Through History Tour Scripts


Franklin County Courthouse, Ozark
Franklin County Courthouse, Ozark

August 9, 2014 - Ozark Courthouse Square Historic District

Ozark Courthouse Square Historic District
Co-sponsored by Main Street Ozark.
Meet at the Franklin County Courthouse at 211 W. Commercial Street.
Ozark, which took its name from the French words “Aux Arc” in reference to a large bend in the Arkansas River near the town site, became the Franklin County seat in 1837 and served as an important stop for river traffic between Little Rock and Fort Smith. In 1885 a second county seat was established south of the Arkansas River at Charleston, making Franklin County one of ten Arkansas counties with dual seats. The Little Rock & Fort Smith Railroad came through Ozark in 1876, prompting residential and commercial development. Downtown Ozark contains several distinctive buildings constructed with native limestone.

Missouri Pacific Depot, McGehee
Missouri Pacific Depot, McGehee

September 13, 2014 - Downtown McGehee

Downtown McGehee
Co-sponsored by the Desha County Historical Society.
Meet at the Missouri Pacific Depot at 100 S. Railroad Street.
This southeast Arkansas town grew quickly after 1905, when the Missouri Pacific Railroad established a division point there, and retains several of its historic downtown buildings, including the Missouri Pacific Depot, Van Noy Eating House, McGehee Post Office, and McGehee City Jail.

Benton County Courthouse
Benton County Courthouse

October 11, 2014 - Downtown Bentonville

Downtown Bentonville
Co-sponsored by the Benton County Historical Society.
Meet at the 1866 Bentonville Schoolhouse at 306 N. W. Second Street.
Bentonville began as a small agricultural community greatly aided by the arrival of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway and is now home to Wal-Mart, Inc., the world’s largest retailer, and Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Cities Service Station and Conway Hotel
Cities Service Station and Conway Hotel

November 15, 2014 - Murfreesboro Courthouse Square

Murfreesboro Courthouse Square
Co-sponsored by the Pike County Archives & History Society.
Meet at the Pike County Archives & History Society at 112 N. Washington, Suite B, in Murfreesboro.
Located near the Little Missouri River, Murfreesboro’s rich soil was ideal for growing crops, and in 1906 John Wesley Huddleston found the first diamonds near Murfreesboro, initiating an economic boom.

 


Taylor House
Taylor House

December 13, 2014 - Taylor House and Cemetery

Taylor House and Cemetery
Co-sponsored by the University of Arkansas at Monticello and the Drew County Historical Society.
Located on Hwy. 138 near Winchester in Drew County.
The Taylor House, a two-story, log dogtrot built in 1846 on the west bank of Bayou Bartholomew by Dr. John M. Taylor and his wife, Mary E. Robertson Taylor, was the epicenter of the 11,000-acre Hollywood Plantation and in 2012 was donated to the University of Arkansas at Monticello. 




Copyright ©2014 Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design.