National Historic Landmarks

Camden Expedition Sites

Camden Expedition Sites

 consisting of properties associated with the Camden Expedition of 1864.

Old US Arsenal

Old US Arsenal

 Old U.S. Arsenal Building at 9th and Commerce streets in Little Rock, Pulaski County, the starting point of Frederick Steele's Union troops.

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Elkin's Ferry Battlefield

Elkin's Ferry Battlefield

 10 miles north of Prescott on the Little Missouri River at the Clark-Nevada County line, where Federal troops crossed the river against staunch Confederate resistance April 3-4, 1864

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Prairie D'Ane Battlefield

Prairie D'Ane Battlefield

 near Prescott, Nevada County, where the two armies skirmished between April 9-12, 1864, blunting the Union drive to Louisiana.

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Confederate State Capitol at Old Washington State Park

Confederate State Capitol at Old Washington State Park

 Hempstead County, is an 1836 structure that figured prominently in the strategies of both the Confederate and Union armies.

 NHL designated 04/19/94

 External Site Link

Fort Southerland and Fort Lookout

Fort Southerland and Fort Lookout

 Fort Southerland on Bradley Ferry Road and Fort Lookout on Van Buren Road are both located near Camden, Ouachita County. Both sites were built by Southern troops and used and improved by Union troops during the Federal occupation of Camden

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Poison Spring Battlefield

Poison Spring Battlefield

 on Highway 76 near Chidester, Ouachita County, where rebel forces attacked and decimated a Union supply train on April 18, 1864, and inflicting 42 percent casualties on the First Arkansas Colored Infantry Regiment.

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Marks' Mills Battlefield

Marks' Mills Battlefield

 Marks' Mills Battlefield at the junction of Highways 8 and 79 near New Edinburg, Cleveland County, where a second Union supply train was attacked on April 25, 1864, and 1,300 of 1,600 Union troops involved were killed, wounded or captured.


 NHL designated 04/19/94

Jenkins' Ferry Battlefield

Jenkins' Ferry Battlefield

 on highway 46 near Leola, Grant County, where the Union army escaped across the swollen Saline River after a desperate battle with pursuing Confederates on April 30, 1864.

 NHL designated 04/19/94

Arkansas Post National Memorial

Arkansas Post National Memorial

 located eight miles southeast of Gillett via Highways 1 and 169 in Arkansas County. This was the site of Spanish and French outposts and battles during the American Revolution and the Civil War, from 1686 to 1865.

 NHL designated 10/09/60

 External Site Link

Bathhouse Row

Bathhouse Row

 on Central Avenue in Hot Springs, Garland County, contains eight spa bathhouses dating from 1911-35.

 NHL designated 05/28/87

 External Site Link

Centennial Baptist Church

Centennial Baptist Church

 at York and Columbia streets, Helena, Phillips County, is nationally significant through its association with Dr. Elias Camp Morris, who served as pastor from 1879 until his death in 1922. The period of his life from 1882 to 1922 was his most productive period with respect to his efforts on the national level to further the religious, political, and societal achievements of African Americans. The church remains a symbol of those efforts in the heyday of Jim Crow.

 NHL designated 07/31/03

Central High School

Central High School

 at 14th and Park streets in Little Rock, Pulaski County. This 1927 structure was the focus of national attention during the desegregation crisis of 1957.

 NHL designated 05/20/82

 External Site Link

Daisy Bates House

Daisy Bates House

 at 1207 West 28th Street in Little Rock was the de facto command post for the Central High School desegregation crisis. The home served as a haven for the nine African-American students who desegregated the school and a place to plan the best way to achieve their goals.

 NHL designated 01/03/01

Eaker Site

Eaker Site

 Mississippi County, archaeological site with evidence of occupation from ca. A.D. 600-1450.

 NHL designated 06/19/96

Fort Smith National Historic Site

Fort Smith National Historic Site

 at Fort Smith, Sebastian County, an 1817-24 frontier fort established to keep peace among Indian tribes, also the site of "hanging judge" Isaac C. Parker's court.

 NHL designated 12/19/60

 External Site Link

Joseph T. Robinson House

Joseph T. Robinson House

 at 2122 Broadway in Little Rock, Pulaski County, is a 1904 structure that was home to U.S. Senator Joseph T. Robinson, Senate majority leader during President Franklin D. Roosevelt's first term as President of the United States.

 NHL designated 10/12/94

Louisiana Purchase Site

Louisiana Purchase Site

 located at the junction of Monroe, Lee and Phillips counties in eastern Arkansas, the site in 1815, from which all surveys of land acquired in the Louisiana Purchase were determined.

 NHL designated 04/19/93

 External Site Link

Menard-Hodges Mounds

Menard-Hodges Mounds

 Arkansas County, site dates from the late Prehistoric era to the 1680s, with Baytown and Mississippian components and evidence of contact with Europeans.

 NHL designated 04/11/89

Nodena Site

Nodena Site

 Mississippi County, A.D. 1400-1700 Mississippian site.

 NHL designated 07/19/64

Old State House

Old State House

 1836 Greek Revival structure that served as first state capitol, focal point of Brooks-Baxter War, headquarters for early twentieth-century malaria eradication efforts, and site of Bill Clinton's acceptance of 1992 and 1996 presidential victories.

 NHL designated 12/09/97

 External Site Link

Parkin Archaeological State Park

Parkin Archaeological State Park

 off Highway 64 at Parkin, Cross County, an A.D. 1300-1600, Mississippian site that may have been visited by Hernando De Soto's expedition in 1541.

 NHL designated 07/19/64

 External Site Link

Rohwer Relocation Cemetery

Rohwer Relocation Cemetery

 off Highway 1 at Rohwer, Desha County, the cemetery for a camp where Japanese-Americans were interned from 1942-45.

 NHL designated 07/06/92

Toltec Mounds Archeological State Park

Toltec Mounds Archeological State Park

 off Highway 165 in Scott, Lonoke County, site of Native American activity from A.D. 700-1800.

 NHL designated 06/02/78

 External Site Link

USS Hoga (YT-146)

USS Hoga (YT-146)

 The USS Hoga (YT-146), located on the north bank of the Arkansas River at the Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum in North Little Rock, Pulaski County, was present at the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

 NHL designated 06/30/89


For more information on the NHL program, go to www.cr.nps.gov/nhl/.

Note: Our databases are currently under construction as we transition to our new webpage design. Some National Register of Historic Places and Arkansas Register of Historic Places listings may be missing or inaccurate during this transition period. Please contact the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program directly with any questions about properties on the National Register of Historic Places or the Arkansas Register of Historic Places.