Sandwiching In History

The “Sandwiching in History” tour series features a historic property in central Arkansas each month. All tours are held on Fridays at noon and last no more than one hour. The tours are organized by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. An AHPP historian delivers a brief lecture about the property before leading guests on a tour. Attendees are encouraged to bring their lunches with them. All tours are free and open to the public. View the videos of past Sandwiching in History tours at the Arkansas Preservation YouTube channel.

Sandwiching in History Schedule                                                

  • June 1: Maumelle Ordnance Works Bunker #4, 4 Willastein Drive, Maumelle. 
  • July 6: William E. Woodruff House, 1017 East Eighth Street, Little Rock. 
  • August 3: National Old Line Building, 501 Woodlane Street, Little Rock. 
  • September 7: Matthews-Storey House, 8115 Ascension Road, Little Rock. 
  • October 5: Rock Island Argenta Depot, 1201 East Fourth Street, North Little Rock. 
  • November 2: Mary H. Matthews Lustron House, 5021 Maryland Avenue, Little Rock. 
  • December 7: Curran Hall, 615 East Capitol Avenue, Little Rock.

 

View Archived Sandwiching in History Tour Scripts


Maumelle Ordnance Works Bunker #4/June 1, 2018

Details

Maumelle Ordnance Works Bunker #4, 4 Willastein Drive, Maumelle. Maumelle Ordnance Works Bunker #4 was one of 21 bunkers constructed in Maumelle as part of the Maumelle Ordnance Works built between 1941 and 1942. The bunkers were built for production of picric acid and ammonium picrate for use during World War II. In 1945 production of picric acid and ammonium picrate ceased and the plant was slated for decontamination. In subsequent years all but three of the twenty-one bunkers have been destroyed.

Directions/Map


William E. Woodruff House/July 6, 2018

Details

William E. Woodruff House, 1017 East Eighth Street, Little Rock. William E. Woodruff, founder and longtime editor of the Arkansas Gazette, and his wife, Jane Eliza Woodruff, had eleven children, eight of whom survived to adulthood. In the spring of 1852 Woodruff sought an area in the country where he could have a small farm and his children could play, so he bought about 25 acres east of downtown. He hired local builder John Robins to construct a large house of locally-made bricks. The family occupied the house from 1886-1891, when the home was sold out of the family. By 1930 the Woodruff House was the Colonial Club for Business Girls, and it remained a boarding house or apartments until 2005, when the house sustained fire damage. It has been vacant since then. At the end of 2014, the Quapaw Quarter Association purchased the property with aid from the State of Arkansas and the City of Little Rock. The QQA is seeking a buyer with the interest and capacity to rehabilitate the landmark.

Directions/Map


National Old Line Building/August 3, 2018

Details

National Old Line Building, 501 Woodlane Street, Little Rock. Join us to explore the remarkable history and design of the National Old Line Insurance Building. This building is regarded as the largest and best example of International-style architecture in the state of Arkansas. Designed by local architect Yandell Johnson, the National Old Line Insurance Building was built in 1955 with an addition in 1965. The history of the building is one of controversy and notoriety. Once home to Arkansas’s former governor, Winthrop Rockefeller, the National Old Line Insurance Building stands as an icon of Modern architecture in the capital city.

Directions/Map


Matthews-Storey House/September 7, 2018

Details

September 7: Matthews-Storey House, 8115 Ascension Road, Little Rock. The Matthews-Storey House , constructed in c. 1925, is an amazingly intact example of a Craftsman Style airplane bungalow in Central Arkansas built by the Justin Matthews Company in the Westwood development of Little Rock. The airplane bungalow is a rare form of residence designed in the Craftsman Style and named due to the similarity of its form, small upper story and cross gables, that echoes the cockpit and wings of 1920s aircraft. The Matthews-Story House was a rental property for several years, before being purchased by the Storey family in 1934. The house eventually was owned by a succession of families, including a Christian Science Practitioner, an insurance salesman, and a Baptist pastor. The house continues to be a single family residence and includes many original features and fixtures.

Directions/Map


Rock Island Argenta Depot/October 5, 2018

Details

Rock Island Argenta Depot, 1201 East Fourth Street, North Little Rock. The Rock Island Argenta Depot is a single-story brick passenger depot constructed in 1913 and designed in the Mediterranean style common to the contemporaneous depots of the Rock Island Railroad Company. It has a simple Latin-cross plan with the telegrapher's bay and corresponding cargo room on the street elevation forming the transept.

Directions/Map


Mary H. Matthews Lustron Home/November 2, 2018

Details

Mary H. Matthews Lustron House, 5021 Maryland Avenue, Little Rock. The Matthews House is a rare example of a Lustron House in Arkansas. Built ca. 1949, the house is constructed entirely out of porcelain-enameled steel panels, and is one of only a handful of this prefabricated house type that remains in the state, and one of two known examples that remain in Little Rock. Lustron houses were prefabricated in Columbus, Ohio, and represented an attempt to manufacture housing that could be cheaply and quickly constructed for veterans returning from World War II.

Directions/Map


Curran Hall/December 7, 2018

Details

Curran Hall, 615 East Capitol Avenue, Little Rock. Curran Hall is a great example of Greek Revival architecture and is one of few antebellum houses that survive in Little Rock. Construction began in late 1842. Mary Woodruff Bell (daughter of the Arkansas Gazette’s founder William E. Woodruff) purchased Curran Hall in 1884 and it remained in the Bell family until the last descendant, Avrill Tate moved out in 1993. The City of Little Rock and the Little Rock Advertising and Promotion Commission purchased the property and with the assistance of the Little Rock Visitor Information Center Foundation restored the property and converted it into the Little Rock Visitor Information Center. It was opened on May 18, 2002.

Directions/Map