Blog

12 Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Friday, June 01, 2018

 

LITTLE ROCK—Twelve Arkansas properties in nine counties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

* Carpenter Building at Gentry in Benton County, built in 1927 from a Craftsman-style design by architect A.O. Clarke. “From the time of the city’s founding in the 1890s until the last quarter of the twentieth century, the Carpenter family operated the city’s mortuary and funeral chapel and one of the county’s largest grocery and furniture stores,” according to the National Register nomination. “The Carpenter Building is one of the largest commercial buildings built in downtown Gentry during a period of major commercial development in the downtown area.Also, this building is one of the most elaborate retail structures in the community and one of the only known architect designed commercial structures along Main Street.”

 

 

* The C.A. Stuck & Sons Lumber Office Building at Jonesboro in Craighead County, the 1889 headquarters of the region’s largest lumber firm. “The lumber industry was an important economic engine in Craighead County during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries,” according to the National Register nomination. “Today, the C.A. Stuck & Sons Lumber Office Building is the last vestige of this important industry and its impact on Jonesboro and Craighead County.”

 

 

 

 

* Mount Salem Church and School near Paris in Logan County, a 1909-1910 vernacular one-room building. “The Mount Salem Church and School was a typical institution of the time, where most rural communities erected one building to serve as both a church and school,” according to the National Register nomination. “Today, the Mount Salem Church and School building is no longer used for regular church services.However, it does serve as a space for community gatherings such as the yearly ‘Homecoming,’ cemetery decoration days, weddings and funerals for the nearby cemetery.”

 

 

 

* Nevada County Courthouse at Prescott in Nevada County, built in 1964 from a design by Weaver and Hiegel Associates reflecting the New Formalism. “The Nevada County Courthouse was designed to be a modern fixture in Prescott,” according to the National Register nomination. “The architectural style it exhibits—New Formalism—gave the building an air of prestige befitting its governmental purpose while adding a touch of mid-century modern style. It is a rather unique building in downtown Prescott, as most of the surrounding buildings represent Neo-Classical, Craftsman, and Post-Modern architecture, reserving the courthouse as a time capsule for New Formalism and for a time of modern development in Nevada County.”

 

 

 

* Washington Street Historic District Boundary Increase at Camden in Ouachita County, which adds several historically significant residential blocks of Agee Avenue with buildings dating from 1847 to 1960. “The homes on Agee Street in the boundary increase to the Washington Street Historic District reflect the growth and development that occurred in the area during the 1920s and 1930s in direct response to the oil boom,” according to the National Register nomination. “Furthermore, the homes that were built on Agee Street during the 1920s and 1930s reflect the popular architectural styles of the period, including the Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and Tudor Revival styles. Textbook examples of the architectural styles of the period line Agee Street, and they illustrate the architectural trends of the 1920s and 1930s period.”

 

 

 

 

* Lockesburg High School Gymnasium at Lockesburg in Sevier County, a concrete-block structure constructed 1952-3. “The gymnasium was completed in 1953 and is currently the only remaining building associated with the Lockesburg school system with historic integrity,” according to the National Register nomination. “The property in Lockesburg where the gymnasium is located has been the central location for education in Lockesburg and the surrounding area since the creation of the Hesperian High School on the site in 1893.As a site of sporting events and a plethora of community events and celebrations, the Lockesburg High School Gymnasium has been an important community center and gathering place for the Lockesburg population since its completion in 1953, sixty-five years ago.”

 

 

 

 

* Deepwood House near Fayetteville in Washington County, built around 1960 from an organic-style design by architect Herb Fowler. “Deepwood House’s location on the edge of a bluff on Kessler Mountain allows it to nestle into the side of the mountain and not dominate its site,” according to the National Register nomination. “In addition, the numerous windows on most sides of the house allow it to almost become invisible in its surroundings.Furthermore, Fowler used natural materials such as fieldstone and wood, often in a rough and unfinished nature, so that the nature of the materials could easily be seen in the design for the property.

 

 

 

 

* Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot 500-man Barracks at East Camden in Calhoun County, built around 1951 to house civilian workers at the base. “The Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot (NAD) 500-Man Barracks were constructed near the end of World War II and beginning of the Korean War as a vital and pivotal location for missile manufacturing during this new era of military armament and missile propulsion,” according to the National Register nomination. “While a fine example of Arkansas’s strong role in military manufacturing throughout World War II it also relays the story of how the community was engaged in the depot from construction through closure.”

 

 

 

 

* Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot Administration Building at East Camden in Calhoun County, built around 1945 to serve as the nerve center of the ammunition depot. “The Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot (NAD) Administration Building is a well-preserved example of a Naval Ammunition Depot founded at the heart of World War II, and that continued to thrive during tough geo-political times following World War II, right through to 1961,” the nomination says. “The Administration Building would become the heart and soul of the production and

 

assembly operation at Shumaker right up to its final day in November 1961.”

 

 

 

* Fulk-Arkansas Democrat Building at Little Rock in Pulaski County, a 1916 structure designed in the Neoclassical style by architect Charles L. Thompson. “The Fulk-Arkansas Democrat Building is a Neoclassical Revival Style building designed by prolific Little Rock architect Charles L. Thompson to house the Arkansas Democrat newspaper’s printing press, reporters and business offices,” according to the National Register nomination. “The building remained the headquarters for the Arkansas Democrat from its completion in 1917 until the early 1930s.The building was then occupied by various businesses; including companies like the Burton Furniture Store, the Lido Cafeteria and Gordon’s Quality Jewelers.”

 

 

 

* Mosaic Templars State Temple at Little Rock in Pulaski County, built in 1921 to serve an Arkansas-based African American fraternal organization. “At its peak, the Mosaic Templars had over 100,000 members in chapters in twenty-six states, the Caribbean, and South and Central America,” the nomination says. “The Mosaic Templars State Temple is the last remaining historic building associated with the Mosaic Templars of America Headquarters, and its prominent location at 9th and Broadway, which was the heart of Little Rock’s (and the state’s) African-American business district, helps to illustrate the organization’s importance in the state’s black community.”

 

 

 

* Carmichael House near Little Rock in Pulaski County, a ca. 1935 Craftsman-style structure with several associated outbuildings. “The John Hugh and Lily M. (Beauchamp) Carmichael estate, built around 1935, consists of a collection of 11 contributing utilitarian and residential structures supposedly constructed by convict labor,” according to the nomination. “Several of the buildings display an interesting collection of stone and found objects and are built in the Craftsman style with terra cotta tile roofs.”

 

For more information on the National Register of Historic Places program, write the AHPP at 1100 North Street, Little Rock, AR 72201, call the agency at (501) 324-9880, send e-mail to [email protected] or visit www.arkansaspreservation.org.

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage division responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other divisions are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Main Street Texarkana Monsanto Chemical Corporation historic telephone booth International-Style Architecture Madison County Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot downtown economic development Barney Elias House Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission historic resort communities 19th Century Road Construction Roe Arkansas National Register of Historic Burdette Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax Civilian Conservation Corps Doddridge Arkansas Cemetery Preservation Library Walks Through History Saline County Arkansas Turner Restoration Arkansas History Pike County Arkansas Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Pulaski County Courthouse free teacher resources News Release Cumberland Presbyterian Church Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Mississippi Main Street Association Craftsman style architecture Monroe County Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Main Street Dumas Centennial Baptist Church Arkansas African American Civil War History Arkansas Railroad History historic architecture Booneville Arkansas Henry Koen Office Building Free Lesson Plan Historic Preservation Alliance 13th Amendment Duck Hunting County courthouse Restoration Grants Let Freedom Ring free historic preservation workshop Miller County Pope County Arkansas White County Courthouse U.S. Army Corps of Engineers St. Francis County Historical Society Helena Arkansas Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Ozark Farming Naturalistic Architecture Arkansas Humanities Council Erbie Arkansas Arkansas Register of Historic Places Elias Camp Morris Rosston Arkansas Three States Lumber Company Dionicio Rodriguez Forrest City Cemetery Leake-Ingham Building Paris Arkansas Delta Cultural Center National Register of Historic Places Benton Arkansas Little Rock Central High School Tudor Revival Architecture steel window restoration workshop Free Courthouse Poster Ouachita County Arkansas Rustic Architecture Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Destination Downtown Conference American Legion cemetery preservsation Downtown Revitalization Grants Civil Works Administration Dr. Ruth Hawkins "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Folk Victorian Architecture slipcover removal grants Perry County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Historic County Courthouses North Little Rock Arkansas Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Buffalo National River U.S. Forest Service Montgomery County Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 National Historic Landmark Renaissance Revival Architecture Abolition of Slavery Main Street Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Flood Control Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Prairie County Arkansas free history tours Main Street Batesville Burdette Plantation Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Booneville Historical Preservation Society Montgomery County Courthouse New Century Club of Camden Camden to Washington Road Bogg Springs Hotel Clarendon Arkansas Arkansas Design Network Wingmead Conway County Library Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Phillips County Arkansas Arkansas Business History Arkansas religious history Arkansas Preservation Awards Kiblah School Skillern House Arkansas Historic Preservation Program historic Arkansas properties Pike County Courthouse Newton County Arkansas Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Sunken Lands Rosenwald Schools downtown revitalization African American education cemetery preservation Main Street Searcy Russellville Arkansas Monroe County Courthouse Louisiana Main Street program Main Street Siloam Springs Edgar Monsanto Queeny Arkansas Historic Preservation Fayetteville Arkansas most endangered historic places Camden Arkansas Poinsett County Arkansas Sandwiching in History Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Main Street Ozark Morrilton Arkansas Huntsville Commercial Historic District Arkansas History Lesson Plans Mississippi County Arkansas Huntsville Arkansas Freedom Park Tolbert Gill Houston Arkansas Art Deco Architecture Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Freedmen's Bureau Pope County Courthouse Evelyn Gill Walker House Forrest City Arkansas Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Camden Public Library Trail of Tears in Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Bogg Springs Arkansas Polk County Arkansas Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Marked Tree Arkansas

Archive