Blog

Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Clarendon, Monroe County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Clarendon in Monroe County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1976. 

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE

The many ways in which this building has been used exemplifies how a small community can work together in cooperative fellowship, so that the lives of the citizens, both young and old, will be spiritually and educationally enriched. With its sturdy construction and simple but dignified style, it is a typical example of the type of church buildings that were erected during a period of hardship and struggle, by citizens who realized the importance of having a place for worship.

The town of Clarendon was completely destroyed by shelling and burning in June, 1854, forcing the evacuation of the town. The people returned after the close of the Civil War to rebuild their homes and businesses from the weeds and ashes. It is significant that during this time of struggle to return to their former way of life that the spiritual needs of the community were realized by the erection and cooperative use of this church building. The fact that it has survived through numerous floods and many years of weathering and is still useful, testifies to the sturdiness of construction.

The original deed to the property, dated September 15, 1869, was to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Clarendon, and stated that the use of the church was to be freely offered to other denominations when not in use by the Cumberland Presbyterians. The July 9, 1870, minutes of the session state “it was resolved to tender the use of the new Church House now nearly completed, to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, The Presbyterian Church and the Baptist Church, each a portion of the time when not used by the Cumberland Presbyterians.” On July 16, 1870, the session resolved to hire a sexton and request the other denominations worshipping in the house to bear equal parts of the sexton’s hire. Thus the building was completed and several congregations were using the building by this date.

Not only was the building constructed for use by several religious groups, but it is also thought that it was erected jointly by the Cumberland Presbyterians and the Cache Lodge 235 of Free Masons, whose group was organized November 20, 1869, and whose members state that they used the upper floor of the church from the time of its erection until they sold the building in 1968.

The Cumberland Church had been organized in 1857, according to an entry in the record books, and records are intact from March 1869-1920. In 1920, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church united with the First Presbyterian Church of Clarendon and from that time the Masons became the sole owners of the building.

From an entry under building expense it is determined that the congregation paid $2500.00 for the building. If the Masons shared jointly in the expense, the total cost was probably $5000.00. This joint ownership would also explain the reason for a two-story building.

After the lower floor was vacated by the congregation, the Masons allowed the lower floor to be used for various community purposes. The Clarendon Library was housed there for about 20 years. It was operated by librarians who worked without pay, and part of this time was sponsored by Civic organizations. Nearly 4,500 volumes of books were damaged or destroyed when the lower floor was submerged during the 1927 flood. After the break in the Clarendon Levee, the church withstood the rush of the water without structural damage.

The W.L. Boswell chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star also held their meetings in the building. At one time a kindergarten was held there, and a teenage club met in the building for a short time. It was about the year 1960 that the Masons allowed the Boy Scouts to use the lower floor for their meeting place, which they have done since that time.

In 1968 when Cache Lodge 235 decided to tear down the building to erect a new lodge hall, Mrs. W. F. Vaughan, to prevent the destruction of the church, donated the necessary funds to the Troop Committee of the Boy Scout Troop 28, and with the funds they purchased the building. Thus the Boy Scouts are the present owners and occupy the building for their “Scout Hall.”

Thus the old church, whose cornerstone was laid in 1869, which was built for service to the community’s spiritual life, has served in many worthwhile areas — all of which have been for the betterment of the community. It has defied going out of service, having served continuously, as no other building in Clarendon has served to so many worthy groups. It continues to stand, amid the tall oak trees, meeting the needs of today and of our future citizens as it did for those of the past.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Record Books of the Clarendon Congregation, Cumberland Presbyterian Church Charter of Cache Lodge 235 of Free Masons, Clarendon, Ark.

Scrapbooks containing newspaper articles about interviews with former members living in Clarendon when the building was erected; articles also about the Clarendon Library and the 1927 Flood.

Monroe County Deed Records.



Recent Posts


Tags

Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola U.S. Forest Service Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Pike County Courthouse Arkansas Design Network steel window restoration workshop Buffalo National River Arkansas Register of Historic Places Madison County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Rosston Arkansas Newton County Arkansas Main Street Ozark National Register of Historic Forrest City Arkansas Freedmen's Bureau Arkansas Historic Preservation Monroe County Courthouse Poinsett County Arkansas Camden Arkansas Pike County Arkansas North Little Rock Arkansas Phillips County Arkansas historic resort communities Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Edgar Monsanto Queeny Roe Arkansas historic Arkansas properties Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Clarendon Arkansas Arkansas Business History Freedom Park Renaissance Revival Architecture Elias Camp Morris Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission downtown economic development Booneville Arkansas Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Conway County Library Walks Through History Arkansas Preservation Awards International-Style Architecture Monsanto Chemical Corporation Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Tolbert Gill Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Tudor Revival Architecture Monroe County Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Saline County Arkansas historic architecture Arkansas Humanities Council free teacher resources Three States Lumber Company Erbie Arkansas Booneville Historical Preservation Society National Historic Landmark slipcover removal grants Wingmead African American education 13th Amendment "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Bogg Springs Arkansas Craftsman style architecture Arkansas African American Civil War History Kiblah School Arkansas religious history Naturalistic Architecture Barney Elias House Pulaski County Courthouse Sunken Lands Little Rock Central High School Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Delta Cultural Center Arkansas History Lesson Plans most endangered historic places Mississippi Main Street Association Forrest City Cemetery Burdette Plantation Main Street Arkansas St. Francis County Historical Society Evelyn Gill Walker House Paris Arkansas 19th Century Road Construction Free Courthouse Poster Real Estate Transfer Tax Main Street Dumas Burdette Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Rosenwald Schools Centennial Baptist Church Main Street Searcy Downtown Revitalization Grants Ozark Farming Pope County Arkansas cemetery preservsation Camden to Washington Road Russellville Arkansas Montgomery County Courthouse Pope County Courthouse Historic Preservation Alliance Turner Restoration cemetery preservation Destination Downtown Conference Skillern House Polk County Arkansas Bogg Springs Hotel Cumberland Presbyterian Church American Legion downtown revitalization Cemetery Preservation Library Henry Koen Office Building Houston Arkansas Rustic Architecture Huntsville Commercial Historic District historic telephone booth Gothic Revival architecture Huntsville Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Let Freedom Ring Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Mississippi County Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas Morrilton Arkansas Main Street Texarkana Montgomery County Arkansas White County Courthouse Fayetteville Arkansas Historic County Courthouses Marked Tree Arkansas Civil Works Administration Art Deco Architecture U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Dr. Ruth Hawkins Camden Public Library County courthouse Restoration Grants News Release Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Duck Hunting Perry County Arkansas Arkansas History Dionicio Rodriguez free historic preservation workshop Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot National Register of Historic Places Civilian Conservation Corps Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Miller County Prairie County Arkansas Main Street Siloam Springs Arkansas Railroad History Sandwiching in History Helena Arkansas free history tours Abolition of Slavery Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Leake-Ingham Building Free Lesson Plan Ouachita County Arkansas Benton Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Nevada County Arkansas Main Street Batesville Flood Control Folk Victorian Architecture

Archive