Blog

Arkansas Properties on the National Register of Historic Places: Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South, Houston, Perry County

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Tuesday, February 05, 2019

The Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Houston in Perry County was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1994.

Summary

The Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Perry County is being nominated under Criterion C with local significance as the best example of a Colonial Revival-style church in Houston.

Elaboration

Although the area surrounding the present town of Houston was settled before the Civil War, sufficient population to warrant a post office was not attained until 1878. The name “Jamesville” was first selected, however, due to another post office by that name in Arkansas, the name “Houston” was substituted instead. According to oral tradition, the name is in honor of Sam Houston, who is said to have stayed in the area during his travels. Interestingly, Goodspeed calls the town “Huston” and, in a different section, mentions a John L. Huston, who operated the first ferry across the nearby Fourche LaFave River in 1847.

The community around Houston never really prospered and disappeared into memory as “Old Houston” in 1900 with the completion of the Choctaw, Oklahoma, and Gulf Railroad two miles to the south. The new town became a center for shipping logs, crossties, cattle, and cotton produced in the surrounding area. The town grew quickly, as most railroad towns did, and contained the usual assortment of businesses including a bank, several general stores, a couple of saloons, hotel, blacksmith shop, sawmill, and a cotton gin. Additionally, the town could offer to its populace the Houston Weekly newspaper, a brick kiln, and a grist mill. The town was incorporated in 1908.

Houston could also boast daily passenger train stops, a feature unusual for a town its size, in addition to the regular freight schedule. Margaret Long, who donated the land for the townsite, received credit for obtaining this service by stipulating the daily stops in her contract with the railroad. A fine of $25 was imposed on the railroad, payable to the Houston Public Schools, for each day the passenger train failed to stop. Passenger train services following these conditions were continued for thirty-five years until the town was made a flagstop.

Margaret Long was also responsible for donating the land for the fist Methodist Church in the Houston area. In 1893, approximately seven years before the arrival of the railroad, Long donated one-and-a-half acres for the construction of the Bethel Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The name of the church was changed to the Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1902 to reflect the presence of the new railroad town that now encompassed the building. By 1912, the congregation had outgrown the existing facility, and the current structure was erected on the same site. In 1968, the name was changed to the Houston United Methodist Church when the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined with the Methodist Episcopal Church. The building is no longer used for church services, except for the occasional funeral, as only two members of the congregation remain. Nevertheless, the building is well maintained and has been little altered since its construction.

The Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South is an excellent example of the single-room, wood-frame, gable-roof church form used throughout rural Arkansas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Although these buildings are basically Plain Traditional in style, local congregations sometimes applied various architectural style elements – most commonly Gothic Revival windows – to the basic form. This church, however, exhibits the less frequently employed Colonial Revival-style influences that consist of a dignified frieze and cornice treatment and unusual arched windows with purely decorative keystones. As it is the best example of this type of church form and style in Houston and the surrounding area, the Houston Methodist Episcopal Church, South is being nominated under Criterion C with local significance.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
Kemper, George. You Can Go Home Again: A History of Houston, Arkansas. 1982 (bound and on file at the Arkansas History Commission).

The Goodspeed Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Central Arkansas. Chicago, Nashville, and St. Louis: The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1889.



Recent Posts


Tags

Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Mississippi County Arkansas Prairie County Arkansas historic resort communities Huntsville Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons steel window restoration workshop Huntsville Commercial Historic District most endangered historic places Barney Elias House Pope County Courthouse free history tours Booneville Arkansas Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Arkansas Preservation Awards Louisiana Main Street program Walks Through History Renaissance Revival Architecture Russellville Arkansas Burdette Plantation Kiblah School Freedom Park Tudor Revival Architecture Sandwiching in History African American education Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Naturalistic Architecture Buffalo National River Dionicio Rodriguez Historic Preservation Alliance Flood Control Nevada County Arkansas historic architecture Saline County Arkansas "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Free Courthouse Poster Camden Arkansas Arkansas Business History cemetery preservsation Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Main Street Dumas Main Street Texarkana slipcover removal grants Main Street Batesville Skillern House Art Deco Architecture Arkansas History Phillips County Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Sunken Lands Trail of Tears in Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Pope County Arkansas Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Main Street Searcy Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola Pulaski County Courthouse St. Francis County Historical Society Arkansas Railroad History Bogg Springs Hotel Polk County Arkansas National Register of Historic Places White County Courthouse Mississippi Main Street Association Pike County Arkansas Gothic Revival architecture Miller County Newton County Arkansas Main Street Siloam Springs Abolition of Slavery Delta Cultural Center Ozark Farming Duck Hunting Arkansas Historic Preservation National Register of Historic National Historic Landmark Civilian Conservation Corps Centennial Baptist Church Evelyn Gill Walker House Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council Perry County Arkansas Erbie Arkansas Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House free teacher resources Monroe County Courthouse Freedmen's Bureau Rosenwald Schools Marked Tree Arkansas Forrest City Cemetery International-Style Architecture Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Craftsman style architecture Tolbert Gill Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Cemetery Preservation Library Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Dr. Ruth Hawkins Turner Restoration cemetery preservation Helena Arkansas 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Leake-Ingham Building Arkansas Historic Preservation Program U.S. Forest Service Morrilton Arkansas Elias Camp Morris Conway County Library Montgomery County Courthouse Historic County Courthouses free historic preservation workshop 19th Century Road Construction historic Arkansas properties U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Henry Koen Office Building Madison County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants Cumberland Presbyterian Church Ouachita County Arkansas Arkansas History Lesson Plans Arkansas Design Network Camden Public Library Clarendon Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Bogg Springs Arkansas Pike County Courthouse News Release Booneville Historical Preservation Society Paris Arkansas Forrest City Arkansas Rustic Architecture Montgomery County Arkansas Camden to Washington Road Rosston Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Monsanto Chemical Corporation Main Street Ozark Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot American Legion Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops Arkansas Register of Historic Places Arkansas African American Civil War History Wingmead Roe Arkansas Three States Lumber Company Edgar Monsanto Queeny historic telephone booth Poinsett County Arkansas downtown economic development County courthouse Restoration Grants North Little Rock Arkansas Main Street Arkansas Real Estate Transfer Tax Arkansas Humanities Council Arkansas religious history Free Lesson Plan Houston Arkansas Benton Arkansas 13th Amendment Monroe County Arkansas Civil Works Administration downtown revitalization Let Freedom Ring Little Rock Central High School Fayetteville Arkansas

Archive