Blog

Our Lady of the Ozarks

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Monday, June 17, 2019

 

In 1954 approximately 3,000 people are reported to have made a pilgrimage to a remote shrine in the heart of the Boston Mountains. This shrine is located in Winslow at Our Lady of the Ozarks, a Catholic mission/shrine founded in 1944 on land donated by Miss Clara Muxen, a nun who relocated to the Ozarks with her family from Iowa. In May of 2019, 75 years after being founded, Our Lady of the Ozarks was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This listing will help to preserve this unique landmark nestled in the Ozarks for pilgrims, worshipers, and tourists into the future. 


“The shrine of Our Lady in the picturesque Boston Mountain range between Fort Smith and Fayetteville, has long been a place of pilgrimage for both Arkansans and out-of-state visitors,” The Guardian, 1963. 


Muxen’s gifts went beyond land. She provided ornamentation for the church which led to its designation as a shrine. What sets a shrine apart from a regular church, according to Catholic Church canon, is a shrine is a sacred place approved by a bishop and visited by pilgrims. There are several key sculptures on the property including Saint Therese The Little Flower, Christ Crucified, Christ Resurrected, and Saint Anthony de Padua. 

Muxen named the mission Our Lady of the Ozarks in honor of The Virgin of the Smile, a statue inspired by the story of Saint Therese, a 19th century youth from Lisieux, France, who was cured of illness by a vision of Mary who appeared to her and smiled. Saint Therese is the Patroness of Missions so it is fitting that her story be interwoven into that of this mission. The statue of The Virgin of the Smile was created by DePrato Studios in Chicago and can still be seen at the site today.
Before the construction of Our Lady of the Ozarks, Catholics in the Boston Mountain region of northwest Arkansas had little access to church services. After an effort by local women to organize a parish, the Diocese of Little Rock formed Our Lady of the Ozarks and parishioners established a small mission near Winslow. In 1944, the parish began building the current native stone church and established a Marian (Mother Mary) statue on the front lawn. Over a two-year period, the parish added more statues to the grounds and finished the original plans for the church. Bishop Alfred Morris officially dedicated the shrine in August of 1946.

Since its inception as the first Marian shrine in Arkansas, Our Lady of the Ozarks has remained a prominent shrine and has served as an annual destination for Catholic pilgrims. 

You can view video from the 1949 pilgrimage event at Our Lady of the Ozarks at: https://youtu.be/iDCk9LcAPsM 


Sources: National Register Nomination Form authored by Ralph Wilcox and http://ourladyoftheozarksshrine.org/

 



Recent Posts


Tags

Turner Restoration Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Buffalo National River Sandwiching in History National Register of Historic Barney Elias House National Historic Landmark African American education Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola free teacher resources Perry County Arkansas steel window restoration workshop Arkansas Business History International-Style Architecture downtown revitalization cemetery preservation Elias Camp Morris Central High School Neighborhood Historic District Erbie Arkansas Three States Lumber Company Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South National Register of Historic Places Main Street Ozark American Legion Polk County Arkansas downtown economic development Edgar Monsanto Queeny slipcover removal grants Renaissance Revival Architecture Roe Arkansas Fayetteville Arkansas historic Arkansas properties Historic Preservation Alliance North Little Rock Arkansas Houston Arkansas cemetery preservsation Pike County Courthouse Cemetery Preservation Library historic architecture Mississippi County Arkansas Helena Arkansas Camden Arkansas Mid-Century Modern Architecture Phillips County Arkansas Centennial Baptist Church Burdette Plantation Booneville Historical Preservation Society Nevada County Arkansas Downtown Revitalization Grants historic resort communities Main Street Batesville Cumberland Presbyterian Church free history tours Prairie County Arkansas Arkansas Historic Preservation Civil Works Administration Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District Trail of Tears in Arkansas New Century Club of Camden historic telephone booth Ozark Farming Craftsman style architecture Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Morrilton Arkansas Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Bogg Springs Arkansas Folk Victorian Architecture Civilian Conservation Corps County courthouse Restoration Grants Forrest City Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Russellville Arkansas Paris Arkansas Poinsett County Arkansas Let Freedom Ring Pope County Courthouse 19th Century Road Construction Wingmead Main Street Dumas White County Courthouse Arkansas Preservation Awards Real Estate Transfer Tax Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Sunken Lands Delta Cultural Center Arkansas religious history Henry Koen Office Building Conway County Library Pike County Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins Arkansas Design Network Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Skillern House Benton Arkansas Pope County Arkansas Camden Public Library Arkansas History Miller County Free Lesson Plan Booneville Arkansas Burdette Arkansas Tudor Revival Architecture Duck Hunting Monroe County Arkansas Naturalistic Architecture Freedom Park Bogg Springs Hotel Forrest City Cemetery Arkansas Register of Historic Places Kiblah School Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council U.S. Forest Service Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Gothic Revival architecture Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery Monsanto Chemical Corporation Little Rock Central High School Rustic Architecture Flood Control Tolbert Gill Huntsville Arkansas Main Street Arkansas Rosenwald Schools Louisiana Main Street program Pulaski County Courthouse Destination Downtown Conference Camden to Washington Road Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Main Street Searcy Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Art Deco Architecture News Release U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Walks Through History Abolition of Slavery Monroe County Courthouse 13th Amendment Free Courthouse Poster Historic County Courthouses "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Clarendon Arkansas Montgomery County Courthouse Main Street Siloam Springs Arkansas Humanities Council Newton County Arkansas Arkansas African American Civil War History Dionicio Rodriguez Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut Freedmen's Bureau Huntsville Commercial Historic District Ouachita County Arkansas Arkansas Railroad History Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Evelyn Gill Walker House Main Street Texarkana Arkansas History Lesson Plans Saline County Arkansas free historic preservation workshop most endangered historic places Madison County Arkansas Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops St. Francis County Historical Society 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Rosston Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Montgomery County Arkansas

Archive