Blog

Seven Arkansas Properties Listed on National Register of Historic Places

Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Friday, September 29, 2017

LITTLE ROCK—Seven Arkansas properties have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the country’s official list of historically significant properties.

The newly listed properties are:

* Henry “Harry” Charles Pernot House at Van Buren in Crawford County, built 1900-1904, exhibits elements of the Queen Anne and Second Empire styles of architecture. “Although the Pernot House includes many characteristically Queen-Anne style ornamentations, the form of the house is mainly Second Empire style in design,” according to the National Register nomination. The Second Empire style was inspired by French Renaissance traditions and included steeply pitched roofs with towers and generally restrained window patterns. The Pernot House falls under the tower variant of the Second Empire style.”

 

 

 

* Johnson-Portis House at West Memphis in Crittenden County, a Tudor Revival-style building erected 1936-38. “The construction and design of the Johnson-Portis House illustrates the growth and development of the Tudor Revival style in eastern Arkansas, and the influences of the latest architectural fashion throughout the first part of the twentieth century,” according to the National Register nomination. “The development of West Memphis and the lumber industry in the area during the early 1900s brought a lot of wealth to the area, which also allowed residents to hire the era’s fashionable architects, such as Mahan & Woods, to design high-style residences using the latest architectural styles.”

 

 

 

 

* Scull Historic District at Conway in Faulkner County, consisting of a pair of ca. 1928 decorative concrete block residences. “The Scull Historic District has two of the few remaining examples of ornamental concrete-block buildings in Conway,” according to the National Register nomination. “The two houses on Conway Boulevard are unique examples of Craftsman style concrete-block construction. The physical appearances of both dwellings largely maintain the original design and the concrete-block is in good condition. It is believed that both dwellings were built by concrete-block contractor Ferdinand Lawrence Scull.”

 

 

 

* Arkansas Research and Test Station in Montgomery County, constructed ca. 1965, includes a a parabolic antenna and an associated operations building. “The Arkansas Research Test Station is a well-preserved example of a parabolic antenna used to advance both the technical skills of employees as well as to test the feasibility of multiple-access satellite communication used by the Hughes Aircraft Company,” according to the National Register nomination. “By 1965-66, the age of space and satellite communication was being thrust upon the American public, and would change the way the world communicates thanks in part to the work and research conducted at the Arkansas Research Test Station.”

 

 

 

* Jewel Bain House No. 4 at Pine Bluff in Jefferson County, a ca. 1965 building with a design inspired by Japanese architecture. “The Bain House No. 4 is one of four houses that Jewel Bain designed for her family in Pine Bluff between the 1920s and 1960s,” according to the National Register nomination. “Although not a formally trained architect, Jewel Bain had a keen sense of design, which is displayed in the houses that she designed. … The Bain House shows hallmark characteristics of the Japanese influence, most notably with the striking blue tile roof that was imported from Japan. Even the small outbuilding, which is designed to look like a teahouse, shows the Japanese influence in the property’s design.”

 

 

 

 

* Dr. Charles H. Kennedy House at North Little Rock in Pulaski County, built in 1964 from a Mid-Century Modern design by architect Warren Segraves. “The Kennedy House represents an outstanding example of the Mid-Century Modern style of architecture in North Little Rock and an excellent example of Segraves’ philosophy,” according to the National Register nomination. “The interrelation between indoors and outdoors, the lack of ornamentation, and the use of windows to allow privacy were hallmarks of the style. The house that Warren Segraves designed really exhibits the characteristics of the style, and is an excellent example of the style.”

 

 

 

* West-Blazer House at Jacksonville in Pulaski County, a Plain Traditional-style residence constructed around 1912. The building is “an important example of a vernacular, wood-frame dwelling constructed by a local carpenter,” according to the National Register nomination. “The period of significance, from c. 1912 to c. 1930, was selected as it most likely encompassed the major early additions to the home that resulted in its current configuration. This period of significance also encompasses the period when the Ebenezer community was at its height as a cohesive rural community with an active local school, church, and multiple businesses.”

The AHPP is the Department of Arkansas Heritage agency responsible for identifying, evaluating, registering and preserving the state’s cultural resources. Other agencies are the Arkansas Arts Council, the Delta Cultural Center in Helena, the Old State House Museum, the Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission, the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, the Historic Arkansas Museum and the Arkansas State Archives.



Recent Posts


Tags

Fayetteville Arkansas Leake-Ingham Building Rustic Architecture Arkansas Preservation Awards Freedom Park Pope County Courthouse Arkansas African American Civil War History Pike County Courthouse Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council 13th Amendment 19th Century Road Construction White County Courthouse Arkansas Historic Preservation Arkansas Humanities Council Houston Arkansas Main Street Dumas Nevada County Arkansas Centennial Baptist Church Cumberland Presbyterian Church Craftsman style architecture historic resort communities Newton County Arkansas Civilian Conservation Corps Edgar Monsanto Queeny National Historic Landmark Main Street Batesville Skillern House Wingmead Stearns/Gehring Chapel Cemetery cemetery preservsation Sandwiching in History International-Style Architecture Rosenwald Schools Mosaic Templars Cultural Center Helena Arkansas Dr. Ruth Hawkins Turner Restoration Booneville Arkansas New Century Club of Camden Huntsville Arkansas Pike County Arkansas 13th Amendment Classroom Presentation Folk Victorian Architecture Historic County Courthouses Gothic Revival architecture Burdette Plantation Montgomery County Courthouse Mississippi County Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance National Register of Historic Places free teacher resources Monsanto Chemical Corporation Free Cemetery Preservation Workshops historic Arkansas properties Three States Lumber Company Arkansas Design Network free historic preservation workshop Phillips County Arkansas Louisiana Main Street program Main Street Arkansas Poinsett County Arkansas Civil Works Administration Old U.S. Post Office and Customs House Central High School Neighborhood Historic District downtown economic development Erbie Arkansas historic architecture Renaissance Revival Architecture Madison County Arkansas Destination Downtown Conference Duck Hunting Bogg Springs Arkansas Russellville Arkansas Doddridge Arkansas Arkansas Tuberculosis Sanatorium Museum Let Freedom Ring Walks Through History slipcover removal grants Rosston Arkansas Polk County Arkansas Ozark Farming Conway County Library Arkansas History Perry County Arkansas Marked Tree Lock and Siphons Real Estate Transfer Tax Arkansas State University Heritage Sites Main Street Siloam Springs County courthouse Restoration Grants Main Street Texarkana Arkansas Historic Preservation Program Henry Koen Office Building Huntsville Commercial Historic District Historic Preservation Restoration Grants Morrilton Arkansas Saline County Arkansas steel window restoration workshop Naturalistic Architecture Buffalo National River Monroe County Arkansas Forrest City Cemetery National Register of Historic Paris Arkansas Marked Tree Arkansas Roe Arkansas Prairie County Arkansas Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas Trail of Tears in Arkansas News Release Clarendon Arkansas Kiblah School North Little Rock Arkansas Mississippi Main Street Association Elias Camp Morris Forrest City Arkansas Miller County Barney Elias House Benton Arkansas Abolition of Slavery Main Street Searcy Camden Arkansas Little Rock Fire Station No. 2 Arkansas History Lesson Plans Cemetery Preservation Library Main Street Arkansas:Real Estate Transfer Tax Camden Public Library Montgomery County Arkansas free history tours downtown revitalization Evelyn Gill Walker House American Legion Arkansas Business History Flood Control Pope County Arkansas U.S. Forest Service Houston Methodist Episcopal Church South Tolbert Gill Camden to Washington Road Burdette Arkansas Mississippi County Courthouse Osceola African American education Carlisle Rock Island Railroad Depot Freedmen's Bureau Little Rock Central High School Monroe County Courthouse Art Deco Architecture Ouachita County Arkansas Main Street Ozark Free Lesson Plan Arkansas Railroad History U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Free Courthouse Poster Parker-Hickman Farm Historic District St. Francis County Historical Society "Let Freedom Ring" Travel Grants Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission Tudor Revival Architecture Mid-Century Modern Architecture Arkansas Register of Historic Places historic telephone booth Dionicio Rodriguez Pulaski County Courthouse Downtown Revitalization Grants Estes-Williams Post #61 American Legion Hut most endangered historic places Bogg Springs Hotel Delta Cultural Center Arkansas religious history cemetery preservation Booneville Historical Preservation Society Sunken Lands

Archive