Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Xenophon Overton Pindall Law Office
Xenophon Overton Pindall Law Office

XENOPHON OVERTON PINDALL LAW OFFICE, ARKANSAS CITY, DESHA COUNTY

SUMMARY

The  X. O. Pindall Law Office is being nominated to the National Register under Criteria B and C with local significance for its association with X. O. Pindall, an acting governor of Arkansas , and as an excellent example of a 1880s single-story brick commercial building.

 

ELABORATION

In 1838, Desha County was formed from Arkansas County in the new state of Arkansas .  The first county seat was at Napoleon, a river port located at the conflux of the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers .  Because Napoleon was frequently flooded, the site was abandoned in the 1870's.  The county seat was first moved to Chicot County in 1873, and in 1877 moved to its current location in Arkansas City .  In the 1880s, when the X. O. Pindall Building was constructed, Arkansas City was the most populous community in Desha County , hosting a prosperous economy fueled by timber industry and river boat traffic. 

 

 

 

The most recognized occupant of the building was Mr. Xenophon Overton Pindall who practiced law here before becoming acting governor of Arkansas in 1907.  Pindall was the son of Lebbeus and Nora (Snell) Pindall.  Born in Monroe County , Missouri , he grew up in Arkansas where his father and uncle were well-known attorneys.  He received his law degree from the University of Arkansas and soon began the practice of law with his cousin in Arkansas City in Desha County . He served as deputy prosecuting attorney.  After being elected to the Arkansas State Senate in 1906, he was chosen to be its president pro tempore .  Governor Little was forced to resign his office less than a month after his inauguration, because of a physical and emotional breakdown.  Senate president Moore served as acting governor from Feburary 1907, until May of 1907, when Pindall took over governorship in his offical duties as president of the senate.  Pindall’s term  expired  in January of 1909.  While governor, X. O. Pindall enacted a pure food and drug law, imposed a franchise tax on foreign corporations, and passed a measure designed to prevent price discrimination.

 

 

 

In addition to housing the Arkansas City Museum from the mid- 1960s until the early 1990s, the building once served as office space for the levee board.

 

SIGNIFICANCE

The X. O. Pindall Law Office is being nominated to the National Register under Criteria B and C with local significance for its association with X. O. Pindall and as an excellent example of a 1880s single-story brick commercial building.

 

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Information provided by Robert Moore.  August, 1997 and October, 1997

 

 

 

The Goodspeed Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Eastern Arkansas .  Chicago

 

Nashville and St. Louis : The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1890.

 

 

 

Herndon, Dallas T.  Centennial History of Arkansas . Chicago-Little Rock: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.