Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Attwood-Hopson House
Attwood-Hopson House

ATTWOOD-HOPSON HOUSE, NEW EDINBURG, CLEVELAND COUNTY

SUMMARY

The Attwood-Hopson House is being nominated under Criterion C with local significance as an unusual interpretation of the Craftsman style of architecture.

ELABORATION

Cleveland County was created on April 17, 1873, though it was first named Dorsey County in honor of Stephen W. Dorsey, a United States Senator from Arkansas at the time.  Dorsey, however, lost favor with the Arkansas populace, and in 1885, the name was changed to Cleveland in honor of the just-elected president.

When the first courthouse at Toledo burned in 1889, New Edinburg, which had a population of 200, was in the running to receive the county seat along with Rison, Kingsland, and Beasley’s Switch.  After the first election failed to net a majority for any of the towns, a second election was held with Rison winning by a small margin.

At about this time, W. D. Attwood erected his splendid Queen Anne Free Classic-style residence in New Edinburg.  Attwood was an early merchant in town and built the first brick store, the Attwood Mercantile Store, which was adjacent to his house and now replaced by a newer building.  In 1917, the house was converted to its current appearance under the tutelage of the builder, Emmett Moseley.  It is understood that the occupants were merely trying to stay abreast of current architectural fashion.

Due to its conversion from an earlier building form, the Attwood-Hopson House is an unusual representative of the Craftsman era in Arkansas and a prominent example of this style in New Edinburg.  For these reasons, it is being nominated under Criterion C with local significance.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Herndon, Dallas T.  Annals of Arkansas.  The Historical Record Association:  Little Rock, 1947.  Vol.  2.

Information submitted by Lisa Hopson, September 1993.

The Goodspeed Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas.  Chicago, Nashville, and St. Louis:  The Goodspeed Publishing Co., 1890.