Site Search
Annual Report & Action Plan Free E-Newsletter Staff Directory FAQs Press Releases Related Links Site Map Home
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Print This Page Forward to a Friend

SANDWICHING IN HISTORY SCHEDULE

The "Sandwiching In History" program is a series of tours that seeks to familiarize people who live and work in central Arkansas with the historic structures and sites around us. The tours take place on Fridays at noon, last less than an hour, and participants are encouraged to bring their lunches so that they can eat while listening to a brief lecture about the property and its history before proceeding on a short tour. A representative from the property is encouraged to attend also and address the group.

The tours are organized by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage. All tours are free and open to the public.

View Archived Sandwiching in History Tour Scripts


Matthews-Clauson-McCullough House
Matthews-Clauson-McCullough House

February 6, 2015 - Matthews-Clauson-McCullough House

Matthews-Clauson-McCullough House, 10226 Miller Road, Sherwood. This large, Craftsman-style home was built about 1928 by the Justin Matthews Company in the Pope Place Addition of Sylvan Hills. It features a stone portico, banks of casement windows, and false half-timbering in the gable ends. The house was used as rental property until 1944, when it was purchased by Donald and Evelyn Clauson. The Clauson family sold it in 1950 to Murray and Martha McCullough.

Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse
Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

March 6, 2015 - Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse

Old U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, 300 W. Second Street, Little Rock. Completed in 1881, this Renaissance Revival-style building served as a post office, federal courthouse and customs house until 1932 and was beautifully restored in the 1990s to accommodate the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

Lynch Apartments
Lynch Apartments

April 3, 2015 - Lynch Apartments

Lynch Apartments, 523 Orange Street, North Little Rock. The Lynch Apartments were built in 1926 by Jimmy and Theresa Lynch and catered to railroad and mill employees. The ten-unit apartment building was recently restored with the help of federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credits.

Dan Stowers Office Building
Dan Stowers Office Building

May 8, 2015 - Dan Stowers Office Building

Dan Stowers Office Building, 1516 W. Third Street, Little Rock. Little Rock architect Dan F. Stowers, Sr., designed this Mid-century Modern building in 1960 to house his firm. The building’s northern elevation is composed of a glass curtain wall, which provided natural light for the drafting room. Suspended masonry panels are another interesting feature of the building.

St. Edward Catholic Church
St. Edward Catholic Church

June 5, 2015 - St. Edward Catholic Church

St. Edward Catholic Church, 801 Sherman Street, Little Rock. In 1883 Bishop Edward Fitzgerald sanctioned the creation of St. Edward parish to accommodate the growing number of German Catholics in Little Rock. The current church, dedicated in 1905, was designed by Charles L. Thompson in the Gothic Revival style.




Copyright ©2015 Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design.