Site Search
Annual Report & Action Plan Free E-Newsletter Staff Directory FAQs Press Releases Related Links Site Map Home
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
Print This Page Forward to a Friend

WALKS THROUGH HISTORY SCHEDULE

The "Walks Through History" program is a series of monthly outdoor walking tours that seeks to familiarize people who live and work in communities outside of central Arkansas with the historic structures and sites around them. Presented by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, an agency of the Department of Arkansas Heritage, the tours begin at 11 a.m., unless otherwise noted, on Saturdays, and last between one and two hours. An AHPP staff historian leads the tour, delivering a brief lecture about the properties visited and their history.

View Archived Walks Through History Tour Scripts


Carroll County Courthouse, Berryville
Carroll County Courthouse, Berryville

May 16, 2015 - Downtown Berryville

Downtown Berryville
Begin at the Carroll County Courthouse, Eastern District, west side of Public Square, Berryville. Co-sponsored by the Carroll County Historical Society.
Named for early resident and town co-founder Blackburn Henderson Berry, Berryville became a trading and educational center for the area’s subsistence farmers. In 1875 the Carroll County seat was moved to Berryville. The 1880 courthouse, enlarged in 1905 to ensure Berryville’s position as county seat, faces the public square.

Lee County Courthouse, Marianna
Lee County Courthouse, Marianna

June 13, 2015 - Marianna Commercial Historic District

Marianna Commercial Historic District
Begin at the First Baptist Church Family Life Center, southwest corner of W. Main and S. Church streets, Marianna. Co-sponsored by the Marianna/Lee County Chamber of Commerce and The Gladlands.
Located along the L'Anguille River, the Lee County seat of Marianna was home to thriving timber and cotton industries at the turn of the 20th century. Court Square Park is a focal point of the district. Public, institutional and commercial buildings are located in downtown Marianna, providing a rich architectural heritage.

Hot Spring County Courthouse
Hot Spring County Courthouse

July 18, 2015 - Downtown Malvern

Downtown Malvern
Begin at the Hot Spring County Courthouse, 210 Locust Street, Malvern.
Co-sponsored by the Malvern Downtown Development Corporation, Hot Spring County Museum and the Hot Spring County Historical Society.
Established as a station on the Cairo and Fulton Railroad line, Malvern incorporated in 1876 and two years later replaced Rockport as the Hot Spring County seat. Because of the area’s abundant clay deposits, brick production played an important role in Malvern’s economy beginning in the late 19th century. Acme Brick Company still operates a plant in the self-proclaimed “Brick Capital of the World.”


Bradford City Hall
Bradford City Hall

August 15, 2015 - Downtown Bradford (White County)

Downtown Bradford (White County)
Begin at the intersection of W. Main (Hwy. 87) and W. Second (Hwy. 367), Bradford.
Co-sponsored by the White County Historical Society.
Located in northeastern White County, Bradford traces its origin to 1872, when the Bradford Allen Station opened on the Cairo and Fulton Railroad line. Prior to that time, the area’s population was about six miles northeast of present-day Bradford on the White River at Old Grand Glaise. The railroad provided a means to ship produce, especially strawberries, to larger markets. 





Copyright ©2015 Arkansas Historic Preservation Program - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design.